cover for a pergola

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bcmower, Feb 24, 2006.

1. bcmower

bcmower LawnSite Member

a customer of mine is looking for a grassy looking cover for his pergola. i was wondering if any one had any advice on where to get one or any leads i might look into to find it. thanks for any help

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Say what?? A grassy looking cover for a pergola?? I'm thoroughly confused. A pergola is essentially an arbor with a flat (rather than curved), OPEN, top. Where is the grassy looking stuff supposed to go??

3. bcmower

bcmower LawnSite Member

he wants it to cover the top for some reason. he wants it to look some what like thatch. he already got an estimate for it and it was around 10,000 bucks so i figured it was worth checking into cause i dont see how it could cost that much

4. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still confused.....does he want a dry roof ("like thatch") or does he want something that's green and growing?

If dry - Google "thatch". If green and growing, that's a whole other ball game because of liner fabrics, bracing for additional weight loads of soil and plant material, etc.. If he requires green and growing, look into pond liner. Then 3" of good topsoil. then creeping thyme: it smells good, looks good, and flowers.