Coverage rates for compost teas.

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Dec 19, 2007.

1. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I would say with chlorine, the best and easiest solution would be to de-gas the water with aeration or let it sit for 24 hours.

For chloramines, it does become a bit more tricky and people have different ways of doing it. The one thing with humic acid is that it may effect your recipe if you use it before brewing the tea, as it does serve as a nutrient source.

And yes, ascorbic acid is essentially vitamin C.

~Tad

2. tadhussey

Oh and thanks from the post from Elaine. I remember reading it, but had forgotten that it was sodium thiosulfate she was talking about.

I don't think most of the country has to deal with chloramines though. We only have chlorine here in the Seattle area. I know that in California it's a big issue for tea brewers and other organic growers.

~Tad

3. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

So, say my dilution is 5 to 1 for a soil drench then I would be putting down 120 gallons per acre right?

4. tadhussey

At that rate, yes it would be 120 gal/acre. Typically, you just want enough water to get an even application of the tea over the area you're spraying.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

lawncuttinfoo, That application rate is very typical, the range is 80 to 130 gallons per acre of compost tea. The 120/130 (80 does too) range applies enough water to get a good soaking and get the biology down into the soil.

A lot depends on the sprayer and tip used

Hydroseeders put down 3 or 4 times that rate, its just the way its built