Covering Equipment Rental Charges

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by heygrassman, Apr 11, 2002.

1. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for the newbie ?'s but I could not find this in my search..

How are you guys covering the costs for equipment rental? Are you building it into the man hour costs or are you charing an Hourly Equipment Charge of $x per hour.

Thanks in advance

2. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

This will depend on what you rent. Is it a hedge trimmer, aerater, ztr???? :confused

I rent an aerater for $48.00 a day. Line up as many jobs as you can prior to renting the machine so the first and possibly by the second lawn the unit is paid for then the rest is in the bank.

Just completed 25 aerations in 1-1/2 days. The unit was paid for by my first job, the rest was like I said in the bank.

Thats my .02
  3. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry about that should have been more clear..

Will prolly need a bed edger for a job. There is about 250+ft of beds that need cleaned up. They are in decent shape but I am dreading using a shovel. I may have one other job to use it for as well, not including the home beds.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

if u charge by the hour charge them an extra fee for the rental charge, if u charge them for the job (not by hour) then add it in.
  5. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Tomorrow I need to remove about 150 sq ft of sod. It will rent for 40$ and I will pass it to the job cost . I f I do multiable jobs with the same piece of rented equip. I devide it amoung the jobs. I also try to kick in a few bucks for having to pick it up and return it.
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I add it (rental) in plus pick up and drop off.. above and beyond the labor.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$48 a day for an aerator? Shoot, around here they're anywhere from $85 to $125 per day. So much for living in Joisey! You just reminded me why we charge so much for everything.
  8. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Just make sure you are covering all costs associated with renting the equip.( your time ordering, picking up, cleaning, refueling, blades and return.) Then add asmall markup for profit.

Planning is important. Probably a 4 hr. minimum on rental,can you do some other chargable jobs to spread the cost.

Twenty minutes edging with 4 hrs. cleanup????

Have fun.
  9. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Just build it into your rate.

10. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

The time it takes to pickup etc. I agree with, but where I rent from they take care of the cleaning etc.

Be sure to check out the article in April's Turf magazine about renting.