1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Covering existing lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cross1933, Jul 20, 2007.

1. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

Is it possible to cover,approx. 1", the existing grass with some organic material and then reseed? I am not impressed,actually disappointed, with the job that the builder did on seeding my back yard. The yard was seeded in early May and the grass is about 1 " high. I brought in some top soil and reseeded, seed from Home Depot, and reseeded two areas. The grass that I planted has outgrow the builder grass by about 15 to 1. I will be bringing in more topsoil to level the grade and then reseed that area. Would it be beneficial to cover the rest of the area with a organic material and then reseed, possible a mushroom compost? I plan on starting this in the middle of September.

2. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Get me some pics and I may be able to help you out. There are a few suggestions I have for you but would like to see some pics so I can determine the most practicle means of getting some grass in your yard

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Anytime you can add organic to inorganic soils you are going to have better sucess...sounds to me like the builder did like mine and threw some grass seed on the cut areas and hoped for the best. You would be best with about 3"-6" but if you till into your existing soil then you may get away with 1"...what you dont want is the grass coming up and the roots having to deal with rock hard soils underneath topsoil.

4. cross1933

We moved into the home in November of 2006, the grass was planted in May of 2007. What I noticed was it appeared they racked over the surface to loosen the to 1/2" and then planted what looks like corn rows of grass. I did request that they lay the sod in the front yard before we closed on the home, the sod is looking good. Is seems like it has rained every other day for the past two weeks, this has made the sod a dark green! I patched a couple of areas in of the sod in May, used to have two labrador dogs. The sod when I unrolled it was yellowish green, bought from Lowes. The sod is matching in with the existing law very nicely, attributed this to lots of watering.

I had the builders project supervisor looking at the yard after it planted. When looking at the yard there was numerous rocks in the soil. I informed the supervisor that grass would not grow thru rocks, he then proceeded to try to convince me that it would. This is the area that I will be raising the grade and replanting in this fall. I have considered taking the rocks out and putting on the yard of the model home to see if grass will grow thru a rock!

5. cross1933

I will get some close up,full yard and grass pictures tonight.

6. cross1933

The last top soil I brought in came from http://844dirt.com/dirt.htm,I used the "top soil" blend. The difference from that soil to the yard is night and day in color. It looks like they are passing off a subsoil as a topsoil.:nono:

I will try to get a closeup picture of where the two soils meet.

7. cgaengineer

Yes, sounds to me like your grass is trying to grow in cut area...this is almost impossible as the soil is inert and lacks organic matter. Your builder sounds just like mine...I had so many rocks I could have filled the back of a dump truck...It has taken me 3 years to pick them all up and finally get grass to grow and stay alive...my rear lawn looks wonderful...a bit heat stressed (Fescue), but I think it will make it.

8. cross1933

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow, sidetracked by mowing and assembling my daughters trampoline.

9. cross1933

What do you mean by "cut area"?

I am not sure I could pick up the rocks in 5 years!:rolleyes:

10. cgaengineer

Cut area is where they removed the top soil to make the building pad for your home...after doing this they usually spread the top soil to the front lawn leaving the crap dirt in the rear lawn for the home owner to deal/struggle with.