Covering Junction Boxes (Cable & Electric)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by carcrz, Aug 10, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

My Realtor, & a good friend of the wife, called me the other day wanting some ideas for her & her Mom's back yard (1 block away).

Brand new homes, builder grade landscaping in the front only. No biggie. I figured I'd just rip out a couple bushes that looked like they came from the forest, take out about 100 sqft of sod, double the size of the front to incorporate the sidewalk a bit more. Add in some Grass, Hollies, Roses, & Daylilies & call it a day.

Mom on the other hand has me a bit stumped. She has the green junction boxes @ both corners & thinks they're unsightly. I was thinking of a berm in front of each one & then maybe some dwarf evergreens (maybe Spruce, but undecided), Hostas, & some flowers. Of course, cheaply as possible! That's what always gets me. People spending $250 - $300 K on a house & then run out of money. :hammerhead:

What stinks about the whole deal is this a trial run to be added to their Reece & Nichols referral list. They haven't said it, but she mentioned a while ago that they were looking for someone on my side of town. I'm pretty sure this is what's going on here. If nothing else, I genuinely like these people & kind of want to go above & beyond what is in my busy mind right now.

Any ideas or pics to help a guy out would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You can go with the basic idea of screening them, but what usually happens is something we call the "pubic effect". You still have the "thing", but now there is a bushy mass around it. Instead of screening it, you can sometimes make it draw more attention than it did before. That is especially true with a low budget.

Sometimes a distraction approach can be very effective. That is to place something in the same general area that draws more attention than the eyesore. A single small tree sometimes works well. Part of it is that it tends to make the other thing look like it is on the next property, but mostly it is that the eye loses interest in the background.

Sorry about the "pubic" thing, but since they decided to call me a "bronze member", I figure it is OK.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with pretty much everything AGLA said. I think its important to remember not to draw attention to the thing. I can see where it could be easy to go overboard planting all sorts of stuff to try and "hide" the box.

A neighbor next to one of my mowing accounts has the exact same thing. All that was done there was they planted one potentila infront of the box with some stone and few large rocks around it. The shrub has gotten big enough now that it covers the whole front of the box. In this case, that was all it took to keep from noticing the box at a quick glance. I think it look pretty good actually.

4. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

if it was me I would use grasses or perinials, I have watched the electric company cut shrubs to the ground that were in their way when they needed to get at the boxes.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

anything within 6' will get cut down if they feel like it, so do as mentioned before - plant a tree maybe 12' away and then some perennials and grasses closer.

I know you said it was a friend of the fam, but when anyone has ever said "If you do good I got more work for you..." I respond with here is a list of previous jobs, call the references, look at my website and if that looks good then we can proceed. Because usually that type of person is not the kind you want to work for.