cow manure for fertlizing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TTPRODR, Mar 27, 2009.

1. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

i read in a news clip someone saying dry cow manure in a spreader is the best for fertilizing in the green world.any suggestions or opinions?
    i have a cow farm not too far from my home that you get to pick as much as u want for free.

2. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know too much about it but I go get a couple of dump trailer loads for my veg garden. Last year I had tomatoes that reached 2lbs and a watermelon that weighed 53lbs, just about all my cantaloupes avg 8-9 lbs. It was a good crop. I was going to go today to get some but it is pouring.

3. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I grew up on a dairy farm so I know a little about chit:laugh:

I am not sure how you would spread it on a lawn without drying and shredding or composting it

4. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

Oh that's a bunch of crap! LOL

Does it not need to be composted? :confused:

5. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

No

But your homeowner would probably prefer it to be:laugh:

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Horse manure for some reason is supposed to have higher N content according to my composting book an around here you can get all the aged horse manure you want for free. I was thinking about getting a few truck loads. I am thinking aged means dry and well broken down.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

People around here just make tea out of it raw. Then do a drench for lawns or gardens.

8. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Should there be a concern for weed seeds germinating? Cows have four stomach chambers to "re-digest" and brake-down intake. With that much "composting", I would assume it is a better product. Horse do not share the same anatomy. This does not take in account the hormones and "fortified" feed that they are fed. And to think milorginite is a beneficial product. Well composted (dry) and aged manure, definitely.

9. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

The saga continues:
    Chapter 1 - Leaf compost - $19/cu yd - I think it was in a compost pile for 10 days and no screening - a mess to say the least

Chapter 2 - Good looking certified compost from a company called McGill - bought a cu. yd. through a reseller for $25 (McGill's min. is 50 cu. yds). Good product - high price - $100+ to deliver up to 40 cu. yds

Chapter 3 - Wallace Farm compost http://www.wallacefarmproducts.com/home
    $17/cu yd / web site says lots of diff. inputs, but the analysis sheet says manure compost. I'm trying to find out exactally what is in it (or does it really matter?) I have attached a copy of the analysis - how does it look? They are about an hour away- getting delivery costs from them.

Pistol

Attached Files:

10. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

The previous post was supposed to be a new thread - sorry all.