1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cow Manure/Soil Topdress

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cgaengineer, Apr 26, 2009.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Well it was a ton of work without a topdressing machine. We ended up shoveling it out of the truck and running over it with my power rake. I have two of three areas completed but lack the area on the right side of my driveway.

Manure was from a cow farm and had topsoil mixed it. Manure had already went through it heating process so It should be mostly weed free (hoping).

Yes, I need pine straw. It will be in this week. Rose bush is also going to get relocated.

2. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

pee yew! i can smell it from here... lol, JK

looks alright, you might want to rake those clumps in a little better? or go back in a week or so depending on rain?
  3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

it might not smell now but when it rains again... you might be looking for another way of doing that...

Otherwise... I fear the weed seed issue, I don't know if I could trust them with the "heating."

Keep us posted though...

Did you dump it in one spot and then spread it? When I messed up... the yard was great except the place I dumped my piles and spread from, those were burnt pretty badly... but they came back nicely though... I guess the oils accumulated there quicker being a high amount stayed in one spot even though they were spread within minutes.
  4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Did you areate first, I usually throw around 20 bags of that manure that I buy at Lowes every time I aerate, it has a lot of sand and that helps the caly soil.
  6. cgaengineer

I aerated a few weeks ago. What I did was just take the load around the lawn and shovel out little piles. The clumps are not bothering me as they will bust up when I mow. It smells pretty bad right now but the smell doesn't bother me, though it may bother my neighbors.

All I need now is another load and some rain. I plan to do this again this year but am going to see if I can find a topdresser even a manual one would be fine.
  7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Good job! Next time, top dress sooner after aeration in order to get more of the compost into the holes before they fill in. I aerate & top dress the same day, then power seed in a week or so.

I am also concerned about whether or not the manure was correctly composted enough to eliminate weed seeds and pathogens.
  8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

those clumps may cause some burning if it smells dry...

AND if it smells without rain... thats not going to go over too well with the HOA I'm sure...
  9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

**&#%%$@* stop using bad smelling compost!!!! it aint compost!!!!

but it looks like a spot on job!!! nice work!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. cgaengineer

No HOA here, and if I had one well I guess they would have to smell it.

If it burns it it wont hurt it much, my lawn is so stressed from last 2 years drought it aint even funny. Anything will be an improvement.

I will post pictures in about 1-2 weeks when it greens up fully.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009