Cow Manure/Soil Topdress

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cgaengineer, Apr 26, 2009.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks treegal1, it was hard work without a machine.

I am sure some of it is composted, but I know for a fact some is right out the cows a$$. It will be fine...people have been doing this for years before everyone went green.

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

HAHAHA... I knew you would love that...

3. cgaengineer

I would have liked to have done this right after aeration but I aerated while it was cooler because I hate it so much...not that I enjoyed working my a$$ of doing this but hopefully it will improve my lawn. I cant powerseed as I have hybrid bermuda so thats out of the question.

I am sure it had some pathogens but I didn't plan on eating it.:laugh::laugh: No worse then repairing my septic system which I have done.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

its a common practice to use green manure if its used correctly. lots of free N...........

5. DeepGreenLawn

and how might that be?

6. cgaengineer

I'm brewing up some manure tea now. I got my small fish tank pump and a bubble stone in my bucket and going to let it brew for a day or two. After I think its ready its going on my new tomato plants and a couple of plants I have around here that are stressed.

7. DeepGreenLawn

if I remember correctly it only takes a few hours if that long... and don't forget your food source, others will tell you more, I want to get me a few going myself...

8. cgaengineer

I'd like to hear it from others as well. Please, I am all ears.

9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

ok so we use it, has to be done!!!

1) is to brew it with a brewer for 2 hours and then heat it to 150deg on the way out the door, new ways prevail.

2) the new way is to use the prototype under 400$ extractor and use way more manure than you would use compost for CE. then it goes past the heater again at 145-150deg into the tank with cool water.

the idea is to make the manure leach-ate A septic.

you can also use the digest-ate from a metane generator as a fert after it gets re heated to a proper temp, say huge N every one!!!!

10. cgaengineer

That went right over my head:confused:. I will use my free 5 gallon bucket and my $3.00 fish pump. As far as heating, I estimate it will hit about 85 degrees today sitting on my porch in the sun.:laugh:

Consider my operation a poor mans attempt at going green. My testing will come from actual plants, if they live it worked, if they die it didn't work. I poured a bit at the roots of my basil plant that got burned when the frost came through. The basil has new growth so its trying to survive, but maybe this will give it the jump it needs.