Cow Manure/Soil Topdress

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cgaengineer, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

You may want to keep it away from your edibles, especially ones you are going to eat soon. Either that or heat it before spraying on the garden. Use it as a drench on the soil, you should be OK

Lawn and landscape no issues, Ecoli is a miserable thing to suffer through

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I agree Bill. I am not applying to anything that is leafy or is ready to eat. I have only been applying to soil...no foliage applications in other words.

Do you know of any way to measure the NPK content in manure teas, compost teas, compost and raw manure?

3. ICT Bill

talk to your local extention agent or university, NPK testing is usually cheap, I know deepgreen who is near you had some compost tested last year when he burned a lawn and found it was 11% N, ask him where he went to have it tested

4. cgaengineer

I was kinda hoping for something that I could use to test at home. I assume the equipment would be cost prohibitive since most people send soil out for testing.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

6. cgaengineer

When you say ballpark...50% accurate...90% accurate? More? Less?

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

8. cgaengineer

Thanks Kiril...I was wondering the accuracy compared to a professional lab test. The prices on those kits are affordable. I would kinda like to know my NPK content of manure teas, compost teas and soils prior to just dumping out some unknown liquid. I would also like the ability to test my soils prior to application. This testing would be for my own use on my own lawn...right now I am having fun with organics and composting...I'm a greenhorn.

9. ICT Bill

You gotta start somewhere, welcome to the dark green side :)
    Have you had a chance to purchase and read "teaming with microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels, it will get your juices going

10. cgaengineer

I have not read or even heard of that book, but this stuff is interesting so I will take a look at it.