Cow's in lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Solutions, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Turf Solutions

Turf Solutions LawnSite Member

I have this account that i take care of and last week we had a major flood. When that happend 40 cows got out and made tracks all over this lawn. I would have to say about 2-3 foot prints every square foot ranging for 3''-12'' deep. I was wondering how would you guys go about solving this? Any ideas would be great!! :dizzy:

2. thill

thill LawnSite Member

I don't have a clue other than top dressing but this has got to be a thread to watch. No doubt, some of these guys will give you some good advice.

Good Luck,
    Tom

3. rico387

rico387 LawnSite Member

Flooding is a big issue in my part of Fl. In my rural area I have a customer that had to turn his cows into an area that they don't usually go. (his yard) Unfortunatley most moos weigh 800+lbs, and make nasty divots in turf grass. Most land owners understand the damage to be expected. Wait until the soil dries and backfill the hoof holes with white silica sand (playgound type). It will give the least compaction and the existing grass will eventually overtake. After all soil is nothing but sand, with other things mixed in it. Your client will understand, as they will be glad to have not lost cows to the flood.
    Rick IAFF local 2294

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, Thats a new one. Never had anything like that happen before. Sounds like they trampled it pritty bad. Will the farmer be paying for it? I would have to say truck in top soil, grade with tractor, gill it then sow with new grass & straw it. Im sure the cows already fertilized it pritty good. :p

5. Turf Solutions

Turf Solutions LawnSite Member

Rico, do you mean fill all of the holes by hand if i had to that i would be there for weeks.

Also if i top dressed it i would probably have to go over it several times to fill in the holes. So would that wreck the grass or could i run a drag over it so it works itself in the holes. Also do you guys think rolling it would help at all.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Man that is terrible.. BTW, horses do the same thing. Unfortunately, I believe they are probly gonna need a new lawn.. I'd give em' a bid for a complete renovation, but it may not be as bad as the ones I dealt with..Livestock can destroy a lawn just as fast as three 4x4's doing donuts...And that's a whole nother' subject... :gunsfirin

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I am thanking by the time you try to fix the mess you would be better off just getting out the tractor and plowing it under and starting over. I know that is a little over the top but it is something to keep in mind.

8. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Rolling the lawn will help some if you get at it when the moisture content is just right. Probably as soon as you can get on it with out making a bigger mess

Mike

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on the size I would probably topdress it with soil and reseed it good luck with witch ever way you go.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have to admit,...this IS an unusual one!
    I wish I could see some pics, but I'm wondering what a good, heavy roller would do while the ground is still good and soft. Not to roll it down vertically to the same height, but to cave some of them in sideways and such - as to mix them in. I think if this was done a few times over time, with the proper overseeding and fert., it would heal rather quickly. It may be necessary to aerate it heavily just before doing these rollings. If this is necessary, then you're riding right on the border of just tilling it and regrading, workwise. I had to do the same thing on mine when all the martians landed. :rolleyes: