Cox reel slow rewinding

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by justgeorge, Oct 31, 2012.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

My Cox hose reel has started struggling on the rewind. It's the 1125 model, air powered. I don't see anything on the Cox website about anything to lubricate. I called Cox yesterday and they wanted to sell me a new motor for it for $343! It's only 5 years old, only used during blowout season.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks!

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not familiar with them. The only power rewind reel I dealt with was troublesome. I bought my Hannay manual rewind reel in 1996 and never have replaced a part on it. It's mounted on the compressor and sits out in the weather all year long.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

4. irritation

I think I got a virus from that link :wall

How's it going in NYC? Do you need to re-blow systems due to flooding?

5. Wet_Boots

I bailed for the boonies, and it still shook, rattled, and rained. Some towns don't see winterizing until next week.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I hope your record collection survived. :)

7. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Had to fix the link you provided, but no I don't think so. Looking at the coxreels website I didn't see any lubrication information.

The link you provided started with www.badgerbadgerbadger and was some sort of redirect, so you may have a virus.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Boonievillitus
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Wet_Boots

It appears they stuck a commercial in front of the badgers, so that gag may be over, at long last.

Anyway, consider the reel motor as something like any air tool motor, and all air tool motors want oil with the air. You might be able to drip in some air tool oil and get some functionality back.

10. irritation

Thank goodness, now all we need is for you to lose the avatar, comic book pics and tell us who you are, where you live and what you do for a living :laugh: