COY PONDS

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Feb 6, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

was just wondering if u guys do ponds, and how deep do u go? i am in central jersey, and it can get real cold here during the winter. do fish stay outside in winter? any help is appreciated. BOB

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Two things to consider -

You need to go down 4' to keep fish outside for winter, to ensure they don't become fishsicles. Or you can go more shallow, but need an aerator and/or heater to keep gas exchanges going and keep the water, well, water.

Problem is, in most areas, if a pond is deeper than 2', it's treated like a pool, and needs a fence around it.

(and FYI it's Koi, not Coy)

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The key to a coy pond is circulation to keep the water oxygenated. In order for coy to survive over the winters as "we" share them the depth of the pond would have to be a minimum depth of 6 feet(2 feet below frost line) preferrably 8-10 feet.

I dont know if you have heard of aquascapes or not but im sure they could help you.
    http://aquascapes.com/

Hope this helps some.
    Kris

4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Kutnkru. Check out the Aquascapes site and get them to send you a catalog. They offer seminars around the country all year long plus the have pond week in Chicago. We use their systems. The only modification we do to them is to add a bottom drain to circulate bottom water. We usually go 3' deep but have gone shallower. I have 2 toddlers and mine only goes 18" and the fish have survived two winters.

5. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

I attended one of the aqua-scapes hands on seminars, very good learning expierience and friendly , knowledgeable people. They state that 24" depth is ok, that is what they taught so that is what I have done never a problem but you must use a pot stlye heater to keep a hole open to allow for gas exchange.

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense intended, but it is Koi...pronounced "kwah" ;)

And what everyone has told you is true...you need to keep the pond from freezing...the deeper the better...unless of course you go with a heater of some sort.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

thanks to you all, and also for the spelling class. hey, this one time when i first started, i gave an estimate for instalation of 3 yews. didnt even know what one was, but the guy said he wants three bushes, just like that(pionting across the street) and the guy with me said those are yews. so i wrote up the estimate, " instalation of 3 texas hughes", customer sent me a note, correcting my spelling, and saying no thanks to the job. thanks folks. BOB

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Ahem-LOL

Been there done that sort of thing. I suppose its not so bad if its a learning experience, but when you hear about horror story after horror story makes you wonder "what does go thru customers minds??" when the lot of us show up for estimates and such.

glad to help
    Kris

9. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Aquascapes says 24", I believe them I have their book & tapes. They're the experts. We will start adding ponds, using their system, when I start solicting install work. Right now wI take install work that comes in but don't activly push it. They have a web site.

10. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

A lot of you refer to aguascapes designs then you say that the pond has to be deeper than 2' and that you need a heater to keep fish from dying in the winter. As far as I know and the experience we have fish will survive in a pond that is 2' deep and has no heater as long as you allow for the exchange of gases in the water. The exchange of gas in the water is the key no matter what time of year it is. Fish will dye during the summer or winter if you don't exchange the gases. For anybody thinking of getting into the pond business I would urge you to attend aquscapes class room seminars as well as their hands on build a pond class before you do any installs. They have made a 20 step program that is very succesful and they are willing to share their knowledge with everyone willing to listen and learn. They can be contacted at 1-800-306-6227 or http://www.aquascapedesigns.com, hope this helps.