CPA question about gravel in driveway

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DLS1, Jun 10, 2004.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to add gravel in our driveway. Due to all the rain this year I have a lot of dirt/mud runoff in our driveway and the two trailers are creating ruts in the driveway where I park the trailers . If I get a load of gravel in the driveway can I charge this as a business expense?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You may be able to write it off as an expense. Missytheaccountant, can you chime in on this one?

3. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck LawnSite Member

Well, a new driveway should be depreciated as a land improvement. Although you might be able to claim a section 179 expense (expensing of depreciable property in the first year of service). However, in this instance it sounds like you are repairing an existing driveway which should qualfiy as an expense under repairs and maintenance. Double check with your accountant.

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

If it is gravel to repair the driveway, it would be a business expense if you are talking about your shop driveway. If it is your home, it is a personal expense, unless it is the portion you use for business.

Unless you are making major improvements, you probably wouldn't have to depreciate it.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay Bruce, that was what I was thinking. This is for our home driveway. I will expense 1/2 of of the cost of the gravel since the 2 trailers will use about 1/2 of the the gravel area and our personal vehicles will use the rest of the driveway.

Thanks.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I just had 11 tons of crushed asphalt put next to my drive. My truck was getting stuck trying to back up. Its as hard as a rock now