1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Crab control for new lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RasterBlaster, May 29, 2004.

1. RasterBlaster

RasterBlaster LawnSite Member

Over seeded a terribly thin lawn with 90% fescue 10% blue on April 20th. Limed and applied starter fert 8-18-12. Second rounds get Dimension .15% 21-0-5. Should this lawn get the same or no chemical control? Thanks.

2. has all the seed germinated?

If so, how mature?

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Lawn should be mowed at least 3 times before any chem. controls are used.

4. RasterBlaster

Lawn looks a hell of a lot better but the soil is basically red clay with rocks and no sprinkler system. Thanks, I'll remember that 'three cut' rule of thumb.

5. 3 cut rule not necessarrly true, depends on what chemicals being applied!

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What control would you apply to a newly seeded lawn??? (except for tupersan and insecticides......)

7. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

lesco carries a product called Drive.
    Its just what you need.

8. RasterBlaster

I am utilizing a permagreen for all of my applications along with a backpack. No spray machine. Which means I'm limited in the use of products, cause I'm not going to backpack large areas. I don't think Drive can be used with low volume sprayers such as the permagreen, am I wrong?

9. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Lesco recommends not applying drive with pg, however acclaim was also not recommended but i get great results with acclaim with my pg.

Drive may need to be mixed in a small bottle first with maybe a gallon of water to make a slurry then put it in the pg. and spray right away.

10. RasterBlaster

Isn't it kind of pricey- over $550 per gallon. You just spot spray this? I'm reading that the app rate is between .08 and .90 oz per 1,000, depending upon the growth stage of the grassy weed. Do you average your rate or increase it as the season progresses?