Crab deadlines

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering when in the year some of you stop spraying crabs, foxtails etc.? Does anyone stop spraying them once September rolls around? It won't be long before they get killed off by frost here in Ohio. Just curious about others in my zone (zone 6) handle it. :)

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'm only spraying the ones that I know are going to be wanting lawn overseeding. I don't want those weeds growing like crazy from the excessive watering for germination.

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm done by Sept. 1st. My theory is that, if it isn't bad enough for the customer to have said something, or if I don't think it should have been sprayed on the 1 or 2 summer visits I made, it isn't bad enough to spray this late.

4. Victor

That theory makes good sense, but what about late-emerging crabs that popped up after your 2nd Summer visit? They weren't there when you were on the lawn then. This is normally only a problem on newly acquired customer's lawns. Once I've had them on my program for a year, I've whipped them into shape pretty well. Except for those new customers who have thin spots and/or bare spots, but won't pay me to slice in some seed. Those customers are warned that I won't be able to keep weeds out of their bare/thin spots. They take what they get, since they won't let me do what needs to be done to bring the weeds under control.

5. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

In Sept. any crabgrass that would germinate would be nothing to worry about-If you can even see them easily... as crabgrass requires heat to thrive. Even mature plants are starting to look sickly about this time from cooler weather. Those herbicides that control them need the plant to be actively growing to trans locate. If you sprayed them now, by the time you would see much results, frost will have killed them... At least in my area-I'm not sure how much milder it is where you are at....

6. Victor

That's a really good point you have there.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I sprayed crabgrass today. It was growing along the street where the homeowner mows at 1/2 inch. Most of our lawns look pretty good, except for the ones with drought damage and low mowing -- they also tend to have spurge & crabgrass in them -- usually in the front near curbs, walks, driveways.....especially where they weedeat down to the nubs.

Near record lows prdicted in norhthern Iowa tonight with lows in the upper 20,s, but I doubt it will freeze here until early October, so for now I,ll spray crabgrass if the customer asks for it.