crab grass in new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsaunders, Jul 31, 2002.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I just picked up a new customer that had 6'' of new loam put down in the front yard. The lawn was then hydro seeded.- This is the worst loam job I have ever SEEN! I feel so bad for these people, the loam isn't even smooth or level. The grass is only coming in good were there is shade the rest is now crab grass/weeds. I don't know much about hydro seeded lawns or what can be done. Any suggestions about getting rid of crab/weeds or smoothing are appreciated. Thankyou- Joel

2. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

This late in the season, I would wait to do anything. in the fall kill it till it and then reseed it.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

No reason to kill it.

The crabgrass that's there will die this fall, so no need to kill it and the good grass that's there. You can spray Drive 75 and kill the crabgrass without harming the good grass you have. This fall do what is needed to correct the mistakes of the other company.

Since you make this statement I would suggest hiring someone that can get it right this time, no need to waste the people money again. Find an experienced LCO, sub them out and watch how they do things this year.

4. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

hey kirbylawn, great reply, shows you have your stuff together,

"Since you make this statement I would suggest hiring someone that can get it right this time, no need to waste the people money again. Find an experienced LCO, sub them out and watch how they do things this year."

i hope that when i need help you are around to render it, atta boy!

5. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I have put in new lawns, I never went the hydro route though. Thanks for the drive 75 note. Are there starter fertilizers mixed in with the hydro seed mix? If you guys saw this loam job you wouldn't believe- it's so rough I'm thinking of taking off the sulkie and just walking.