Crab Grass preventive measures

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by captn, Feb 22, 2008.

1. captn

captn LawnSite Member

Folks,

I cut my lawn pretty short over the summer to avoid having to cut it twice. the little crabgrass I had turned into an infestation last year and I would like to know the best way to handle.

Is there a good preventative I can spread?
    Is there a best time to apply a preventor/fertilizer? (I live outside Chicago)
    Does mowing shorter really spur crab grass growth?
    Is there anything else I can do?

Please help, spring is right around the corner, and I want to make sure I have a plan for the thaw.:hammerhead:

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Put a Preemergent down before the grass greens up.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yes, mowing short does injure the grass more and let more light/heat to the soil which can and will aid crabgrass to establish. the taller the better to help choke weeds out and make your herbicide work better. most weed seeds require light to germinate unlike grass seed. the taller and healthier the truf, the less light to the soil. if you are not a pro and a homeowner, consider a service, or get a crabgrass fertilizer combo from walmart etc. and apply in mid to late march and maybe again in late april depending on the instructions of waht you get.

4. captn

captn LawnSite Member

Is there a better preemergent? would the stuff from Home depot or Walmart be ok?

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is fine. Just put down Crab-Ex and be done with it.

You may want to first put down a pre-em with fertilizer and then in about a month use the crab-ex so you are not burning the lawn with nitrogen but yes those products are there just for people like you. You want to do it yourself and they work just fine.

Good luck and happy spring.....:drinkup:

6. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Crabgrass germination starts when soil temps are around 55 - 60 degrees. For a PreM you want it down before this starts or it doesn't do anything. In your area, this is probably around mid to late March.

7. davidcentralflorida

davidcentralflorida LawnSite Member

you can sprinkle baking soda on crab grass.

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Cut it longer to shade the soil

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think you are in zone 5. Ideal time to apply is about late April--my opinion. Plan to apply just after your first mowing of the year. For serious problems, apply again in 6 weeks, say mid June. Do not skimp on the product--remember each plant last year dropped about 300 crabgrass seeds, to produce this season's infestation. Use the product full-strength, water it in for best results. Keep your grass thick--do not allow dry spells to produce dry thin areas. Bluegrass is thicker and more resistant to crabrass than ryegrass.

10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

There is a product at Lowes that kills crabgrass without harming your lawn. It hooks to a water hose.