1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Crab grass sod?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by General Landscaping, Jun 5, 2006.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

In Jamaica this past weekend.... Had to look through the "landscape contractors" in the yellow pages.
    There was a turf farm offering Bermuda,Zoysia, and crabgrass sod:dizzy:

Has anyone seen crabgrass sod before??? (for sale)

2. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

I have not seen it for sale, but everytime I go to Cancun, I swear the stuff looks like crabgrass everywhere.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Crap!!:dizzy: I know some homeowners who are sitting on "gold mines"! Now, how to get it down there:confused: .

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Found their YP online and grabbed the ad.....

crabgrass sod.gif

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No LOL but I have some customers who think crabgrass is as good a turf as any other grass and they either don't realize crabgrass is a weed or they don't care - Chances are this is the kind of customer who just might purchase crabgrass sod, it has its benefits:
    Being that it is a weed, it stays green with very little to no moisture, even during a drought the crabgrass is green. It is tough, resilient, and you really almost can not kill it, it even resists MOST weed controls LOL !
    Meanwhile, if the lawn consists of mostly crabgrass, once it is cut it actually looks halfway good.
    Thou I do think the winter cold would kill it, this is not a problem in Jamaica, it doesn't get to freezing cold often in winter, does it?

I still don't know if I would try to sell the stuff lol, but to each their own.

6. Groundspro

Groundspro LawnSite Member

Actually, topsites, you have a good point when describing the growth characteristics of crabgrass. But I wonder if they are not mistaking centipeed grass with crabgrass. Maybe our southern friends can enlighten us on this?