1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

crab grass took over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Got a client late we treated late for crabgrass, It had kinda taken over one side and back yard before we aquired it. Killed all the crabgrass and their wasn't much of the bermuda that could come through. How can I start this fresh for this year? Do I need to mow at 1" to take off the dead crabgrass and fert or what? Also there are bushy green weeds throughout, is this common for bermuda in the winter?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

What exactly are you talking about. In one sentence you call the problem "crabgrass" and in the next sentence it's "Bermuda Grass"?

They are not the same thing. Crabgrass is a weed and Bermuda Grass is not a weed, it is a grass variety. They are handled differently.

Can you give us some more information, maybe a picture?
  3. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Sorry, Did not think people used crabgrass as a main turf. ha ha The bermuda is or was the main turf at one time, at least it is in the other parts of the yard that weren't effected. The crabgrass is dead but is almost totally covering the bermuda underneath.

4. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

It'll help if you give more specific information. Is the crabgrass dead or just dormant? What did you use to kill it? What are the other bushy weeds you mention? Are they in the crabgrass or all over the yard. If so, one thing is clear to me-- winter weeds all over the yard may perhaps be common in bermuda (because of poor control), but it's not good turf management.
  5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

if it frosts where you are in texas . the crabgrass is dead I would tear it up with a power rake , areate the heck out of it and reseed . are you sure its grabgrass and not a thick leafed fescue or broam type grass . see if you can get us a picture of the lawn
  6. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like your crabgrass is dormant, not dead, unless you treated it. Either way, I typically do cut it down fairly low prior to greenup.
    Spring crabgrass treatment is typically pre-emergent. Seeding is typically not recommended with these products. Sounds to me like you will need some broadleaf weed treatment also. I use Momentum. What crabgrass does emerge this summer can be treated with post emergent chemicals. I use Drive D75.
    By August the turf should be ready for seeding or renovation depending whether or not you want to keep the Bermuda or kill it and deter it for 2-4 years.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Strawbridge Lawn has the plan of attack. Are you licensed to apply chemicals?