Crab Grass!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PTOhioMower, Aug 5, 2006.

1. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Isnt this the worst year for crab grass!!!

It is almost impossible to cut, esp when wet!! Im really starting to dislike those that dont put down any Pre-emergent!!
  2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems like this year Pre-M has done nothing to stop crabgrass. Infested lawns with or without it.:cry:
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Crabgrass just loves the rain unfortuantely.
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing like watching a nice edge dissapear before your very eyes. That stuff is growing like crazy in the northeast.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

d0od worst year i have seen for crabgrass, i $hit you not we weeded this place and 2 weeks later it looked like it had never been done, it was sick.
  6. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

I know exactly what youre sayin. Any bare soil and this crap finds it!

It is the worst.
  7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

This year has been terrible (last year also) with the crabgrass, and then add in some nutsedge.
    i used pre-emergents, and even spot treated some and had little affect. The ones that are the worst, at best, look decent.

My shade houses look night and day from my full sun.
    i can't wait for that cool weather to come.

nice to hear that i'm not the only one. Sometimes i scratch me head wondering if it's me?:waving:
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I agree - the worst I have seen crabgrass ever. At this time, it holds so much moisture, and stays wet long after dew has vanished from regular turf. It must be drawing out lots of moisture from the ground.
  9. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

This may sound stupid, but are there more than one type of crabgrass? Is it the broadleaf weed that is low to the ground and spreads out from a centerpoint, or is it that limegreen stuff that grows really tall really fast? I just want to diagnose it correctly if customers ask.
  10. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

That lime green looking stuff is nutsedge. Crabgrass is not a broad leaf weed but a type of grass. It has a prostrate growth habit and there's two types, smooth and hairy. Do a search on a weed identification web site to see a picture.