Crabgrass 3 tiller

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Athletic field, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

Has anyone had luck controlling crabgrass with Drive and Methylated seed oil between the 2-4 tiller stage? I have it on a property at the 3 tiller stage and am wondering if I should go ahead a spray it and risk a re-app. or wait to spray it when it further matures?

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Sure. Drive works good at any stage. IMO

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

MN

Drive has more of a cool season label than Warm season label, so I haven't used a lot of Drive. But I do have a question about the Response Time. How long is the normal response time. What would you say was the longest response time to see total control of Crab Grass. Do you find you have to make a second application??

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Out here, Drive is only truly effective at about double the label rate. If I run it at max rate, there's almost ZERO effect. But at double, it's a one-time treatment.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whoopass

The little I have used Drive 75 has not been real successful. But I fear doubling the the rate on Warm Season turf. I use the MSO at a higher rate to try help the Drive, along with LI 700. I will try the Double rate on my own patch of weeds I call a yard.

????I would still like to know your response time to Drive???

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

The crabgrass will begin turning red in about 4 days, depending on watering and heat. Complete kill in about 10 days??

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whoopass

Thanks, Now I know it isn't working for me. My Drive is several years old and maybe the shelve life has Expired. I will try the higher rate you suggest.

8. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Try sneaking some Tenacity on the property. Not labled for residential yet but golf, commercial and ag have seen positive results for control of crabgrass.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mscotrid

Word on the street is Florida is pulling Licenses and Certs for using Ag Labeled products on Residential turf. But I have hear the same good things about Tenacity including Sedges and many broad leafs.

10. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I've never understood why you can use X product on golf but not residential. Than you have residential prodcuts that are RUP on golf. The big question we joke about is Apartments...Commercial/Residential units. We refer to them as commercial properties but in reality their residential. Where does sports turf come into play. You have products labeled for ST and not residential go figure.

Bottom line the label is the law and if your gonna vary you better be making some big jack on the property.