Crabgrass and broadleaf weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jnd42697, Aug 11, 2007.

1. jnd42697

jnd42697 LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner and this is the first year I have ever really had a problem with crabgrass. What can I use besides roundup that will kill the crabgrass and other broad-leaf weeds before I aerate and reseed in September. If I really would be better off with round up I will use it I am just not sure what I need.

2. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of grass are we talking about?

3. jnd42697

jnd42697 LawnSite Member

Sorry the lawn is fescue. Charlotte NC

4. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

try some DRIVE works pretty well just dont over apply as it tends to stress the grass if you do

5. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

oh and I should mention DRIVE is for crabgrass you'll need something else for the broadleaf we use MOMENTUM for that

6. jnd42697

jnd42697 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help.

7. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

Drive at label rate for the crabgrass but spray in morning when temps are low and let dry !!!!!!! In this heat, ANYWHERE, most plant specific herb's will act like roundup anyway if not applied properly. As for the other broadleaf weeds (depending on what you have) I would recommend Momentum or a 3-way. For harder to kill weeds try Quicksilver (VERY hot stuff, just a dab'll do ya')or Confront. Never more than label rate on any above mentioned and follow rule stated above about heat and application technique.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Good to have you back turnnh20man!

Did you have a good vacation?

9. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

Good just to have the break off work. Did as much as we could do with 2 young children in tow. Plus it was so damn hot we decided to come back early. Still have a few days off to R&R around the house in AC and comfort. Dorothy said it best "there's no place like home". Thanks.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I hear ya! I love home. Our county just got a Walmart a while back and I told my wife if we get a Lowe's I will never have another reason to leave!

Are you going to the OTF or OLCA this week?