Crabgrass coming back

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MisterBreeze, Jul 14, 2012.

1. MisterBreeze

MisterBreeze LawnSite Member

I put down 2 apps of Dimension, 1 in late Feb, 1 in early April. I am starting to see crabgrass coming up. WTF?

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

you missed a spot? It did not get watered soon after the app? Not watered in enough? You put down too little?

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Around herenpeople apply way too early to get all their lawns done on time... then they start the second round and do them all again... heavy rains/irrigation wash away the herbicide, the grass is cut too short and bakes the surface where CG is the only thing that grows... Not sure what should be done in NC but you might want to rethink the cultural habits of lawncare for your area...

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

While improving cultural habits is a given priority, Pre-ems help break a cycle. Most have enough residual effect if applied properly and moved onto the soil ( avoiding UV breakdown) to become active will last 3 month or longer depending on the rate. You can apply early to stay ahead of crabgrass.

The purpose of the OP's split app was to extend the seasonal coverages and to stay well under the seasonal limits. This is a normal activity in warm season areas. I have seen crabgrass in many relatively thick lawns. I do not want to get into all the in's and out's of Bermuda grass in this thread.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

We do two split apps here since our growing season is so long, I would think NC would be similar. My main reason for splits is because I use low volume to apply, but it's better anyway...better for cg prevention and safer for the root system in my opinion.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Since we are talking, My understanding of the label is like two apps per year, say Spring and Fall. The split app is actually taking the spring App dividing it in 1/2 but while you are doing that, you can increase the strength slightly.

So you get something like this

1/2 recommended rate ( which is less than max rate /2) late Summer / Fall
    then 1/3 of Max rate Late winter
    followed by 1/3 of Max rate. Mid Spring

You will put down less than the maximum allowable rate like this and get extended CG control on warm southern regions.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

So for our States, NC/SC/GA/TX

Fall / Late Summer is applied at Program 3 rates of 1.2 pints per AC to control Poa and winter weeds.

Then we use Program 2 rates - 1 Pint per AC split into two apps ( .5 Pints ) 5 to 10 weeks apart.

This actually uses 2.2 pints per AC which is far below that maximum rate of 6 Pints per year and 2 pints per Application.

If you did the program 2 with two apps, you would be at 2 pints per AC....

8. Brett Thomas

Brett Thomas LawnSite Member

what were your rates

9. Brett Thomas

Brett Thomas LawnSite Member

hopefully its not this bad. I took this pic yesterday at a pool house u can tell exactly where the spreader with pre m went

crab grass 002.jpg

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Never in my life have I seen pre of any type work well as a granular product as well as a spray.