Crabgrass control and overseeding need help?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by AA961JESTER, Mar 12, 2002.

1. AA961JESTER

AA961JESTER LawnSite Member

I have a new customer whose lawn has a substantial amount of old crabgrass and very thin on turf grass. The customer want's his lawn re-seeded. I was going to thatch the lawn, put top soil down and re-seed, but when can I treat with a pre-emergent crabgrass control? I know the pre-em can kill the seed. Do I seed in april and put the pre-em down in 8 weeks or the other way around??

2. grasskeeper

grasskeeper LawnSite Member

If the crabgrass is really bad than I would suggest to the customer to start over from the beginning. Remove what is left of the lawn and re-seed or sod the entire lawn from scratch. If the customer is unwilling or unable to afford this than I would apply the pre-emergent first, probably in a week or two and than seed later on down the road. I don't think that the pre-emergent will kill the old crabgrass and it will probably just be a headache down the road unless removed.

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to be re-seeding the entire lawn with top soil and seed?

4. AA961JESTER

Yes, I was planning on reseeding most of the lawn.

5. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

If you use Tupersan you can seed and put down pre-emergent at the same time. I would reccomend de-thatching the whole lawn and aerating it several times. Then rake out any weeds/crabgrass left with a steel rake. Seed the lawn. Spread compro at about 1/4 inch over the whole lawn. Seed again. Aerate again. Spread the tupersan after you are done with everyting else. Make sure they water.

6. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Scotts has a "Step 1 for seeding" with a crabgrass preventer in it.

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have used tuperson before. It does not do a very good job in crabgrass prevention. I would put down demension now and plan on a renovation in the fall!

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Drive 75.

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Kent's got it. Seed as usual. (why topsoil?)Blast it with high P starter to speed up establishment. Then use drive according to the label.

New Yorkers don't have Drive 75 in the tool kit, & according to BASF, never will. Sorry guys.

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld4BF004.pdf

Drive is awesome stuff. Kills crabgrass post. Sets up a short residual pre. Takes down a nice list of Broadleaf too. Use a surfactant/spreader.

Steve

10. AA961JESTER

What is drive 75. Do you need a license to purchase and apply it. Who makes it and where can I get it?