crabgrass control this late in season

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenman, May 28, 2003.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I just recently picked up an account. I have killed the broadleaf and ferted, but, I picked this account up just as the crabgrass was emerging. I know if I spray the crabgrass more will just germinate. What can I do to get rid of all the crabgrass and keeping it from coming back,,,,,other than waiting until next year for pre-emergent?

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

How far along is the crab? It has been cool and rainy here for the past month, soil temps are still in the upper 50's at three inches, and I am going to apply Dimension with some iron to some new lawns I have picked up this week. They have not had any applications this year, and I am thinking they need the additional weed control. If you get some post emergent activity and spray, what has not germinated should not germinate with the pre put down.

How does this sound to you guys?

EG

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Hmm, I thought about that. Going ahead and putting down pre-emergent and post-emerging the crabgrass. didn't know if it would work. the crabgrass is still young, with 1 or 2, maybe 3 leafs. But the bare spots are mature plants.

4. Pre-em it and Drive 75 it now............While you can still keep control of it.

Once it gets hotter out, you wont beable to spray it.

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I am not familiar with Drive 75. MSMA should work just fine. Right? Mixed with 2,4-D if broadleafs are present?

6. Drive or MSMA, but better results on first app with Drive.

Sure it costs more, but the end results are better.

With the drive just use Drive, to costly to spray anything else with it.

My findings the MSMA will need 2 apps and yellow it, but...If you have a Johnsons grass problem also the MSMA will be the better choice. Also mix liquid iron with both any of these products to counter any yellowing of the non target turf.

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Thanks, LGF. Another reason why the MSMA is also there is some Dalis grass in this lawn as well. Will Drive control Dalis grass and Nutsedge?

8. Stick with the MSMA for a cost affect, 1 herbicide to kill 4 types of tuff weeds to control. Make sure you use liquid iron with the apps, MSMA can yellow the turf also on dry warm/hot days.

Many people hate MSMA, but always read the label, it's not a 1 shot 100% killer, but nothing is. Learn how to use it, it will bring great results.

9. Dalisgrass

dallisgrass.gif

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Dang I hate Dallisgrass. I dont think pre-emergent will control it, I kill it every year with MSMA and it seems to re appear the next year.