Crabgrass Dilemma

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LazyWeekends, May 30, 2001.

1. LazyWeekends

LazyWeekends LawnSite Member

I have a customer that is difficult to please but it is very important to keep her happy. I started keeping her lawn this year. She has bermuda grass for the most part and then over seeds with rye in the fall. It is becoming apparent as the rye grass is dying off (going dormant) that she does not have a very good cover of bermuda grass. In fact she has such bad cover that there are now large bare patches in the lawn. In addition to this she has a bunch of crabgrass coming in. I was wondering what is the best thing to do. Do I kill the crabgrass and then end up with more big bare patches or leave the crabgrass for the greenery it offers and then kill it off in the fall and then renovate the lawn properly? If I leave the crabgrass now will I be compounding the problem later? What is the best chemical that will take care of the crabgrass without harming the bermuda? I am in northeast North Carolina in case that makes a difference. I would appreciate any feedback on this.:confused:

2. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

If the crabgrass is not to large yet try Image or demension,if it has tillered and is large, then fertilize and keep the crab cut low and maybe the invasive nature of the Burmuda will take over.
    Good Luck
    Dennis