crabgrass dilemma

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Jul 19, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I would bet that I'm not the only one with this dilemma. Most of us use Dimension in late April-1st of May. I like use it as late as possible. One application in Feb general is still working by then. About now in TN, crabgrass is in full growth. Why hasn't the dimension gotten rid of the crabgrass throw the pre-emergent chemicals? Ever wonder about that? Where is the crabgrass coming from, if not from seed. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Roy

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

You need to list the Turf Species you wish to maintain crab grass free. Many turf species are tolerant of Drive 75 which will post emerge control Crab Grass. Fact is many other species can tolerant 1/2 to 1/3 rate of Drive 75. St Augustine is not one of those species. Also Dimension is not the only Pre Emerge that controls Crab Grass, It is the expensive one.

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks Ric, I am batteling the crabgrass in St. Augustine and Centipede. I know that Drive will not work on these turfs. What Pre-Emerge would work best on the St. Augustine? My lawn is 90% St. Augustine and about 10% centipede. I'm replacing the sod pallette by pallette. Last year's St. Augustine sprouted crabgrass about August just after sodding at the end of June. I used the Demension stuff end of April and thought that it would take care of last years seed. (I know about the Lesco brand but was a little leary of it though cheaper). I even kept it mowed to prevent the seed pods from developing and now it's here again. It's not solid yet. I see it here and there and am digging it out plant by plant. So...........what would you recommend if not Dimension. Thanks

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

barricade is great before summer for preventing crabgrass.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

The St Augustine Sod farms in my area are using Penannt Magnum by Geba Giegy as a Pre Emerge for sedge and Crab Grass. It doesn't stop Broad leafs but the Atrazine they use is both a Pre & Post emerge for broad leafs. They also feel Penannt does not root prune the St Augustine like other pre emerges and are applying it every 60 days. Centipede doesn't grow in my area, it is too hot for it. So I don't stay up on Centipede.

To my knowledge, there is no legal way to post emerge treat crab grass in St Augustine and I will not post any illegal information. Since this about the 4th thread you made about Crab Grass in St Augustine. I knew by reading your first post ou were talking about St Augustine. Learn to talk to your customer and let them know the Tree Hugger have killed Grab grass control on St Augustine. Your hands are tied unless you want to risk your certication on something illegal.

6. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks Ric, I'm more concerned with the "Pre-emerge" side. Seems like it just didn't do it's job. On the "Post Emerge side"--I sorta know what you're talking about. I did a lot of experimenting and found some things that begin to work on the dallisgrass.
    This the the first thing I've posted on crabgrass since it's an annual and that damn dallisgrass is a perennial did a LOT of legal and illegal test on my own yard for that stuff and you are so right about what begins to work would be illegal to use commercially.

I was looking into finding a better suited pre-emerge for the St. Augustine since I would be looking at putting down a round in November for the winter weeds.
    Thanks--
    Roy

7. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Haven't ever tried the stuff that Ric suggests, but we use Barricade/Procade and get excellent results.