1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

crabgrass elimination

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tbrom, Oct 8, 2007.

1. tbrom

tbrom LawnSite Member
    from 77833

I live in the Houston, Texas area and crabgrass is taking over my St. Augustine lawn. What is the best way to eliminate it and when is the best time to apply the herbicide? I heard to put pre emergent down only in the Spring but I am not sure what is the best product for consumers to use. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks!
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Your best bet here would to start a good Pre-Em program as crab is an annual and getting the seeds early is essential. There is a herbicide to get it while growing but is probably illegal. Start your Pre-Em when the grass goes dormant and use Dimension. If your problem is bad, apply every two (2) months. Most pre is good for 90 days but to get a handle on it extra work will be needed. If you're able, hire a independent licensed applicator to treat it. I'm sure there are several in Houston or post for one here.
  3. tbrom

tbrom LawnSite Member
    from 77833

Thanks for the input! I thought no one was ever going to respond. What is the herbicide that you referred to? I have a friend who has an applicator's license and can probably get the herbicide that you are referring to. Thanks again!