Crabgrass/foxtail Its sure hard to make the lawns looks good

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMlawncare, Jul 29, 2005.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Summertime presents its own set of problems. Usually we think of dry weather and burnt lawns. This year the crabgrass and other grassy weeds are flourishing. Our lawns that don't have a good chemical program or no program at all are really look rough with crabgrass and foxtail. Its taking longer to trim and mow because that stuff is so aggressive and it looks like crap. Anyone else dealing with all the summer weed headaches.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, it's a pain in the a**. The weeds grow faster than the lawn so midweek the weeds have grown and the lawn has done nothing. It sucks.

3. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

I GOT A FEW DAYS OPEN IN MY SCHEDULE..............YOU PAY FOR THE TRAVEL,LODGING AND THE PEST LICENSE IN YOUR AREA PLUS MY NORMAL RATE I WILL COME DOWN AN NUKE A LIL CRABGRASS FOR YA !! payup payup

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I do not accept anyone who is not willing to take atleast my minimum service agreement in 'most' locations.

I'm not talking all-out full blown full service... but a minimum standard of just enough additional care to get by and keep things under some manor of control. I tell people it's best for both parties... and it really is. Unless the customer just doesn't care (which I don't want for a customer) they are not really going to be all that happy with your once a week cuttings because it will look like crap three days when the weeds pop up. But they won't be happy paying you to cut twice a week either to catch all the weeds that pop up.

So with control measures, you're happy, the customer is happy, and your reputation is not going down the drain on their lawn.

5. TMlawncare

I am a lic. applicator. Thats not the problem. Customers are too cheap for pre-emergents and waaay too cheap for post-emergents. However, like most they want there place to look like a post card. Our work reflects our company so we have to keep them looking decent. Many of these weedholes are far too profitable to lose so we'll just have to suck it up and deal. Some of the properties we mow for are treated by another applicator and they couldn't find a weed if it was taped to their nose. No pre-m app just a little squirt and fert for broadleaf a couple times a year.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, weeds are growing like, well...like weeds! Man I've been struggling to keep up with them. All the wet-hot-wet weather is keeping me busy.
    I'm busy on the grinder too, making sure the blades are razor sharp. The weed whip struggles with some of those weeds too. I just about need the brush cutter.

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing here......

8. D Fricks

D Fricks LawnSite Member

Guys the crabgrass is the worst i have ever seen in Georgia this year customers are to cheap here for pre- emergents also we had 16 inches of rain in 2 weeks almost impossible to mow this stuff it never drys!

9. TMlawncare

I hear you, that stuff just comes out like goo. Then it cakes up the deck. It and foxtail are probably the worst followed by clover.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I wish i could get a chem liscense. I would make soooo much more. It is in such a high demand that i could just do that and make tons! But if i got that then i would have to register business, insurance etc, and my dad wants me to wait. I want to just get it over with. It will make me more money with all that stuff. My lawn has crabgrss for the first time this year. Anything good that we can buy to fix it? We have been using scotts because that has worked in the past, but not this year!