1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crabgrass in Bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gene $immons, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have more Crabgrass in lawns this year than ever before. I used Dimension pre-emergence in early spring, I don't know why the poor results.

I have used MSMA products in the past and have had complaints about the spots it leaves on the lawns. Some of my lawns are in need of a blanket coverage because little crabgrass plants are popping up everywhere, it would be too hard to spot spray.

Anyone used a goos product for crabgrass in Bermuda lawns? I need some help here. Thanks.
  2. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

I've had good results mixing 1 oz Ferromec/Gal of herbicide. This reduces the shock of spraying. I've also heard Mircle Grow works also.
  3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Gene, I had the same problem last year. I went for broke this year, and bought the "Drive 75" I think is the name of it, and it works wonders on the crabgrass. So far it has been easy as a feather on the bermuda turf, even in the hot weather. I also didn't use a sticker with it, as it recomends. I also ask my rep from Lesco about Iron in my MSMA last year. He told me it breaks down the MSMA where it is not as effective. After finding Drive I'll never go back to MSMA
  4. Gene $immons

T.E. Do you use it mainly for spot spraying, or have you used drive as a blanket application. I usually like to fertilize with a granular the same time as using MSMA type products to keep the bermuda green.
  5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello Fellow Okies: What about dallisgrass will Drive 75 work on it
    too ? I keep a little over an acre mowed for myself and there is a
    field across the road and another next to me which is loaded with
    dallisgrass and crabgrass. Every year in June and July the dalligrass really starts coming on like gangbusters in my yard. I have always
    used MSMA and have the same problems you guys have with it. MSMA gets rid of it but some of the good bermuda yellows up too.

6. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Drive 75 is the your best bet.. It's expensive to blanket, but go for it if it's necessary.

I'm not sure how the weather is your way, but here it's been raining too much which is why my properties have an occurence of Crabgrass..
  7. Gene $immons

I believe that the same chemical should work on dallas grass also.

From what I have experienced, the yellowing from MSMA type products is temporary if the lawn is fertilized

I guess my real question is this. If you have to do a blanket application, how do you prepare the homeowner for the "temporary " yellowing of their yard? Has anyone had to go to this extreme in dealing with grassy weeds in a warm season turfgrass?
  8. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

I always alert customer prior that MSMA will likely cause temporary yellowing. Good fert and water will cure it quickly ----and when the dallis is gone, the customer is always satisfied. I do many blanket sprays and try to get them completed by June 15 (usually requires two apps 10 days apart). The turf is very active at that time and recovery is quick. High GPA helps reduce burn. MSMA in July and August is a recipe for more severe burn--- therefore I avoid it if possible other than spot sprays. Drive is OK on crab if you can afford it, but will not take out dallisgrass.
  9. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Yellowing can be countered by adding Chelated iron. Works every time.
  10. Gene $immons

What have you all paid for 2.5g of Drive? Does lesco carry it?