1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crabgrass in Centipede

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by crabbyyard, Jun 13, 2013.

1. crabbyyard

crabbyyard LawnSite Member

Centipede lawn in Alabama, with large swaths of yard with about 50-100% crabgrass. Additionally, last year I didn't water and had two large fairy rings or brown patches (perfect circular growth with discolored edges that grew to about 15' in diameter) which killed 25-50% of grass.

This year, I applied Dimension preemerg in late Feb-early Mar. Then applied Heritage G Fungicide 3 times (about 4 weeks apart) after green up.

I applied 1lb N per 1000 sqft (Scotts Weed and Feed 29-1-10 was all I could find with low P locally) after green up in May and have about 75% of yard with healthy centipede. I recently had spots in yard that had yellowing so applied chelated liquid iron about 1-2 weeks ago, which turned grass dark but is now returning to normal color after successive rains.

I'd like to apply a post emerg to the areas of yard with crabgrass, as I think they will continue to dominate as I applied a preemerg and they still greened up (4 or 5 tillers). I've been hand pulling the seed shoots and bagging my lawn clippings. After reading this site and greendoc's posts, I plan on using Vantage applied at 0.5-.75 oz per gal per 1000 sqft.

Is there any other things I should be doing to help the centipede out compete the crabgrass? We have had a fairly wet spring, so I have only been watering the portion of the yard which had fungal problems, and I overseeded this area with Tifblair centiped, and now I have some good looking, blue green centipede in this area, but also bare spots and areas dominated by crabgrass.

Lastly, before applying Vantage, I read that I should prep the yard with a liquid fertilizer (1/2 lb of N from ammonium sulfate, 1/2 lb of K from potassium nitrate and soluble iron/manganese). I would like to buy the raw materials and mix myself, but I'm thinking that only commerical tank mixers can provide sufficient agitation for dilution. All I have is a Chapin Pro backpack sprayer, so should I just stick with granular fertilizer and spreader or is there a good premixed liquid fertilizer I can buy online?

Thanks for any help.
  2. crabbyyard

Photo 1 is typical area with crab grass outcompeting.

Photo 2 is remaining dead spot with crab grass.

Photo 3 is healthy centipede.

Photo 4 is heathy centipede with crab grass in foreground.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg
  3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a lot of stuff on a grass that generally likes to be left alone. I'd not apply any N now and wait on the vantage, you can apply it later if needed.
  4. dlh2

dlh2 LawnSite Member
    from Pace Fl

Yep, be careful with centipede, it does not like a lot of fertilization. Too much and you will get centipede decline after a few years. I put down 0-0-7 Atrizine (a pre emergent) all over the yard and spot treat the areas where I have a crab grass or Poa Anua problem with Halts sometime in Dec, Jan or Feb depending on how cold or mild the winter is. After it greens up usually around April, I apply a Centipede Weed & Feed (preferably 15-0-15 with Atrizine). Then in mid July, I put down another light feeding of 15-0-15 Weed & Feed for the late summer weeds like Chamber-bitter.
  5. crabbyyard

Acknowledged on the over-fertilization. I'll take it easy and just go after the undesirables with Vantage.

Thanks for the replies!