Crabgrass in lawns and fall seeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenngrow, Aug 25, 2003.

1. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I have done the search and did not really find my answer to the age old question. How to combat crabgrass in late summer in time to reseed this fall.

In KY like many other areas. The best time to seed is August 1 to October 15. The problem is that the crabgrass is really bad in some of the lawns that I am going to reseed this fall.

I have used Drive 75 in the past but it has been inconsistent on controlling the weed. I have used MSMA that stuff will burn a lawn in a heart beat.

I was wondering about Tri MEC PLUS. I also was wondering about this product being applied with the Perma Green.

2. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Trimec Plus takes Trimec and adds MSMA. If you read the label
    you will see this is a problem for seeding. It may be a convenient way of controlling crabgrass and broadleaf at the same time, but it's not a good alternative for drive herbicide on new seeding.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem with any of the postemergents is that they really are not going to provide good control this late in the season after the grasses have tillered past two.

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a lawn that is all crabgrass, then consider spraying with round up, thatch, aerate, fert. and seed. This can be done as soon as you can seed.

If it is just patches here and there then run a thatcher over those areas to thin out, aerate, fert, and seed. The key is to wait a little later in the seeding season to do this work. The crabgrass will begin to slow its growth. Once you thin it out with a dethatcher, grass seed should be able to germinate in that area. Remember, cold nights will pretty much do in crabgrass and lawns will germinate in late October unless it gets freaky cold. (like last year)

5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

you should get good control of crabgrass with drive 75 + MSO as label states. The crabgrass should be tillered enough by now for it to work with great results. I have been spraying the combo here lately and is working like a charm. The great thing about Drive 75 is that you can reseed after only 7 days - not 4-6 weeks as with using something like trimec plus.

If you are not getting good results with drive 75 make sure:
    1. you have to add MSO
    2. you have to hit the crabgrass early and late in the season. In mid season around the two tiller stage it has poor results.
    3. Make sure it is really crabgrass and not goosegrass. Drive doesn't do goosegrass. Hopefully they will get the right stuff in drive to battle goosegrass soon. Then we all could throw away that old nasty MSMA.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer your question about using the PG to apply Trimec Plus, I'd have to say no. According to the label you need to use 1-3 gallons of water per K. Since the PG only puts out a quart per K, you won't be able to use it.

7. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I personally have applied Drive to my lawn.
    I had to repeat this at l3east 3 times. The crabgrass just would not go away.
    I just read the label and the reseeding time line 3 to 4 weeks after application. If I start in early Sept. I can reseed the lawns that need it in early October. Tri Mec Plus vs. Drive 75 becomes a cost issues. When in my area you get $3.00 per K it does not even much run for profit using Drive 75.
    I have some Drive left from last year. I will try this and compare it to the Tri Mec Plus.

Hopefully the temps start going down around here. Today 100 degrees in the shade and humidity 99+ %