crabgrass in new seeded centipede

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jabbo, Jun 17, 2005.

1. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

Just wandering if there is anything I can do to the crabgrass right now(instead of spraying atrazine this fall) that has come up in my centipede. Planted the lawn about the second week in april. Located in central Georgia. Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

2. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

please bump

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jabbo

Sorry I don't do Centipede. It is too hot in my area for it. Crab Grass control on Warm Season turf can be a real problem. Asulox has been taken off the Residential market For Economy reasons not because it is that dangerous to the environment. Sod Farmer can still use the heck of out it.

Crab Grass in an annual and therefore out grows Perennial turfs. It loves water and will over take a lawn in the rainy season. Pre emerge is about the only way I know to control Crab Grass in Centipede. I would recommend you apply Pennant pre emerge now and every 60 days there after to keep it from spreading. But any Pre Emerge is going to chemical root prune the centipede also. St Augustine has a much higher salt tolerance than Centipede and Crab Grass and I use that fact to control Crab Grass in St Augustine.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Centipede doesn't grow in my area.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

This may not be the answer you wanted....but I do have a few Centipede lawns under management.

Maybe someone else knows more than I on this topic, but the only 2 bullets coomonly used for Crabgrass are Drive and MSMA. Neither of those are labeled for Centipede.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Turf

MSMA will control both Centipede and St Augustine in Bermuda. Drive 75 will control Crab grass in St Augustine but will stress or even kill St Augustine if applied at full label strength.

6. ThreeWide

But as far as removing crabgrass from centipede, it seems there is no answer.

7. ThreeWide

Better late than never...but there is a solution for crabgrass control in centipede.

According to my reference material, Vantage is labeled for such. I have a feeling it is one of those pricey products.