1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crabgrass is up in Southern Indiana

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J Hisch, Mar 28, 2007.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Spoted my first crabgrass today, in the 1 tiller staged and a few were in 2 tiller stage but it was not the same everywhere. So starting tomorrow we will put MSMA in our spray tanks. Good grief, it's only March 28th usually were safe until the 20th of April.
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Maybe we will get heavy frost that will kill it off, its still very early!
  3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Those would have to be real hot spots. Here crabgrass does not show until end of May or early June. I generally do not see it in main lawn areas until corn is at least 7-8 inches. Even in Southern Indiana I doubt that corn is up. I would not change much over two sightings.
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What are your ground temps?
    Our ground temps are not even 50 Deg yet in middle of OH.
    Doesn't it take several weeks for crabgrass to get to the first tiller?
    I was told I could use Dimension until the first tiller and my supplier told me I had 3 or 4 weeks yet. Someone please educate me on how long it takes for cg to get to the first tiller.
  5. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

im in southern ohio and i have had over 55 degrees for 6 days straight. all readings were taken before noon. we have also got our first round of mowings in. willie
  6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I am skeptical about crabgrass showing in southern Indiana already. Here crabgrass does not show until lawns have been mowed 10-12 times. Then it will first be showing along edges. Every April I get calls from customer about crabgrass. It is either quack grass or tall fescue.
  7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Well we have been in the 70 and 60 in the nights this week we got into the 80's, yes it usually doesnt show until around April 20th or so but it is up! If you feel that confiedent that it is not then dirve your butt here and see. If it is not up I will pay for your trip. Bet you wont do it......
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Soil temperature was 44 in Grand Rapids on Thursday.

Scotts recommends applying their crabgrass control between the 2nd and fifth mowing. (For cool season grasses--I don't know what they suggest down south). Do you guys even use crabgrass control down south in bermuda/St Aug country?

We try to get our crabgrass control down before temperatures hit 80. Last week we hit 77--but that was a fluke. Plenty of frost and cold weather due next week. We usually have until about May 10.

What is a good link to get soil temperatures on the net?

What Growing Degree Days will result in crabgrass emergence? I changed my estimate to about 500.

Myself I don't have much faith in Dimension granules killing young crabgrass.
  9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Yes Y'all--Crabgrass, Johnson Grass, Chickweed (More Chickweed than I've ever seen)--all of showing its ugly heads. We have the medicine for um--Southern Speedzooone and Triiiimec in TN, Atrazine and Image in SC. Our Tender, Delicate, St. Augustine just can't take all that strong medicine Y'all. Really though--a thick healty lawn is my first defense against against crabgrass. St. Augustine is probably the most delicate, picky grass there is, but with understanding of mowing,fertilizing, tolerence, and watering--it is quite beautiful and throwing in blooming azalea the size of oranges--the south is alive and thriving--even if the current administration has never recognized us...Katrina--least we never forget!
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Soil temp in Grand Rapids up to 46, but...cooler weather expected next week--snow possible. Very odd situation--grass is mostly green due to warm temps and rain 10 days ago--green up is at leat 3 weeks ahead of the usual date of about April 15.