crabgrass is winning

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Jul 17, 2010.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I just did my backyard over the past 2 nigths after work.

2 things that really stood out to me while doing this weed work are........

1-my lawn where the crabgrass is, has shallow roots, maybe 3"-4"

2-Where the crabgrass is (and maybe the whole lawn?) that I pull up, there are a TON of worms! And the soil is this rich black pebbly soil. Must be the compost and vermipost mixing together? Cant believe the amount of worms though.

2. RDA

RDA LawnSite Member

Interesting, how deep are the roots where the lawn has not been invaded by the crabgrass? What type of grass?

Well, worms are good, but I am sure you know that.

I have an incredible number of earthworms in my lawn....the robins love my yard, you can frequently see a few roaming the yard at any particular time.

Regards,

Rich

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Same for me...and when the dew is heavy or it rains they are all over my driveway...I even pick them up off driveway and return them to the lawn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

How short/tall are you cutting your grass, when the CG appears? Are those spots also having more sun?

5. BostonBull

roots elsewhere are 6" or so.

I mow 2.5-3". Small lawn, but yes due to trees and fence the areas with the moist CG, also get the most sun.

6. RDA

RDA LawnSite Member

So, where the roots are deeper, the grass is obviously healthier (probably thicker and taller as it is better nourished/water uptake) and where the roots are more shallow, the grass isn't as healthy, less capable of choking out the weeds, particularly the crabgrass.

Makes sense, it is why I grow/mow my grass tall and do everything I can to encourage deep root growth (increasing my OM, using Myco coated seed the last time I overseeded, using TTTF seed, etc.) and keep the grass as thick as possible.

Regards,

Rich

7. Smallaxe

What I've noticed too is, even where the grass is thin, soil is sandy, roots not visibly deep, but where I've kept it cut high, the CG hasn't emerged. Elsewhere, such as in rocks around trees, the CG is becoming a problem, because of all the rain.

8. BostonBull

my soil is crap, thats been determined. The CG in the rear lawn, is where the high traffic is. Soil compaction, bare spots, and dog pee arent helping in these areas. Out in the open lawn, barely a few weeds here and there. Almost no CG, other weeds.

9. Smallaxe

:laugh: Sounds like a normal situation there. My dog client has CG popping up in various areas as well.

10. fake_usa

fake_usa LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Posted via Mobile Device