crabgrass, June 2010

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jun 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

How bad is crabgrass in your area? Is there a lot of crabgrass pressure? I just took a look at a few untreated lawns in my neighborhood during the last week of June. Crabgrass was running rampant--it is going to be big--maybe a new record for bad crabgrass in Michigan. Weather in last three weeks has been hot and rainy.

2. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I sprayed one plant about 3 weeks ago, it was 2 ft. around. It just hissed at me,and then laughed.

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen a lot of crabgrass on untreated lawns.

Did a couple new lawns.

1 got a blanket of drive. They mowed low i had a talk with them. We will see.

2 got just spot treated with drive they wernt to bad. Just in some bare spots and along the curb.

They all got a pre

I don't think it's a lot for this time of year.

Charles Cue

4. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

It is looking nasty here.
    I was scouting with my rep this week and we both agreed it will be an ugly year.

How much does weather conditions play into this?

We had the 2nd warmest April here in history and slightly dry followed by a slightly cooler may with over 6 inches of rain. Then June hits with, at this point, 24 out of 27 days above normal temps, many way above normal with very high humidity. Not to mention the 11" of rain this month to date.

How much of an effect does those weather conditions have on preemergent products.

The weather here this month has been more like late July or August.

Every year at sometime during the working season I always wish the season was over.....this is the earliest I can remember that happening.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good question--does heavy rain or heavy sprinkling wash away the pre--resulting in crabgrass problems even if the weather is otherwise normal?

Or...is crabgrass mainly a function of heat...or maybe a dry spell followed by heavy rain and heat.

Are you ahead or behind last year in the amount of Drive or other post emergent grass control?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  6. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

A rather healthy crop here also -

Jimmy

7. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

I might regret this so "knock on wood" :drinkup:
    For our area, 13+ inches for May and June 6+ inches I think the forecast said last night.

I put my Pre-M out in March and have not seen the first crab yet and June has also been HOT here for this time of year is unusual I just hope it breaks and July is cooler but thats unlikely given June's history to date.

Now the untreated area of my yard where I have fruit tree's YES lots of crabgrass and any other weed you want to experiment with. :drinkup:

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

So far we are looking ok on crabgrass, spurge looks to be way down as well? We really need some soaking rainfall soon or all bets are off. Lawns are starting to make the jump from stressed out to drought dormant.

9. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

No issues here on properly maintained lawns. New and abused lawns, well...

Been plenty dry and hot as well.

It has been my experience that you will have more issues with CG during high rainfall seasons.

Thin areas will be more prone to CG regardless if it is wet or dry.

Just make sure the lawn is cut at 4" during the heat and dry weather.

10. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Am cutting St. Augustine to 4.25 inches; higher than ever since it has been dry. crab grass is well controlled except for neglected areas; sedges are out of control though due to excesively and unusually rainy "dry" season.

MY competitors are cutting down as low as 3" and some appear to cut even lower tryning to stay ahead of the weeds, burning lawns... aggrevating customers I'll soon pick up.