Crabgrass Lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassroots lawn, Jan 13, 2006.

1. grassroots lawn

grassroots lawn LawnSite Member

just wandering how and what you would suggest for this problem..live in se pa.very dry summer.we had a second germination of crabgrass(that's what i was told)in mid summer and a lot of lawns got a goog deal of this crabgrass. i used drive and it worked somewhat.my question is this..if a lawn has a lot of visible crabgrass, that was untreated(new customers ) will it come back strong this spring..my idea was to backpack the small lawn with roundup/scythe then aerate and reseed(after residual time)..does this make sense..thankyou''''''''''

2. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

:) crabgrass dies after a couple of heavy frosts or over the winterwhen it freezes. but it will leave a billion seeds if the seed heads matured. pre -em in spring.

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

what we do on lawns that had past problems with crab. is to hit it twice with dimension and fert split applications march and april ,follow label..
    seed them in the fall.

4. grassroots lawn

Thankyou So Much .i'll Try That Approach ..have Fun Bikin.......

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

don't feel bad, late summer was a horrible time in 2005 for crabgrass. It was the worst that I had ever seen it up here that late

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Around here we had a dry end of June, lots of damage, then rain in July like crazy. Crabgrass took off in that damage and spread like crazy. Weird year for weather.

7. grassroots lawn

How are you all going to handle that this spring..anything different..thanks jjjjjjjjjj grassroots

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

crabgrass really isn't a probably here early in the spring, it isn't a problem until later in the year. I say here our number one problem is ground ivy, wild violets, and buckhorn plantain

9. Jim Cormier

Jim Cormier LawnSite Member
    from MA

Your gonna have several problems, one is if there is so much crabgrass, which will be large bare areas come spring, no amount of PreM will stop it from coming thru.

Now alot of people will recommend seeding these spots come spring, because the best control for crabgrass is a nice thick green lawn. However when you seed in spring it limits what you can apply as a prem.

And when those new grass plants are just starting to grow, the summer months hit and usually they don't survive, and then crabgrass come in, again!

Sounds like a pain doesn't it?

This is what I do, I sell either aer & seed or sliceseed in spring, apply tup, then tell the customer to water everyday for the summer months. But I also make sure the customer commits to redoing the seed work for the fall cause no matter what is done, crab will get in again. I charge a ton to do this cause it very rarely works out where the customer is happy.

No matter how many times you tell them in the spring that crab will come back, you always get the question in mid July " did you only plant crabgrass seeds!"

10. grassroots lawn

Thankyou For The Response.sorry But Did Not Get The Tup..can You Simplify That.i Think I Know What It Is ..that Is What I Was Going To Do ,aerate And Overseed,small Lawn 5000 Sq. Ft. So You Are Saying To Reseed In The Fall Too.can I Put Down Drive If The Crabgrass Comes Up And Will That Help The Problem..thanks Again So Much.the Reason I'm So Bent On This And It Is A New Cust In A Retirement Type Community,so Good Results Will More Than Likely Get More Customers.