Crabgrass & Nutsedge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tdf, Jul 4, 2007.

1. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

Do you guys clean up crabgrass and nutsedge at no additional charge for customers on your program. I can kinda see taking care of crab butt I dont know about nutsedge.

Thanks,TF

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if its a small amount I just do it as part of the program, this year I'm using Surge that is supposed to suppress nut-sedge and have heard good things about it! if it were a large infestation I would charge extra. I treat crabgrass if they are a full program customer at N/C

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Crabgrass no charge. Nutsedge-optional at extra cost.

4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

crabgrass, no.

nutsedge, depends. Small areas/spot spray no charge. Last year, a good customer had an acre of wall to wall nutsedge. I took it out with sedge hammer and a sticker. He was very happy with results. Charged him 3x cost of the product.

5. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

If they got the pre-emergent through our company I'll give them the crabgrass at no extra cost through the season. I usually dont charge existing customers for nutsedge, but its usually not overbearing out here either.

6. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

We do it no charge for spot treatment, regualr rate for broadcast if they want rid of it. If they want a pre-emerge like Barricade we charge them double the cost of the product, since crabgrass isn't a huge problem here and we only have a handful of customers that want the barricade.

Same goes for nutsedge. No charge for spot if they are on our full service contract, and extra for broadcast if they want it.

Post emerge we use Vanatage for Crab in Centipede, MSMA in Bermuda. We use Manage for sedge (sedgehammer).

I'd love to try out that failry new one called Dismiss (sulfentrazone), but it's way too expensive for free spot sprays or broadcasts. This stuff supposedly kills all types of sedge and kylllinga in 2-3 days.

btw anyone else know a cheaper alternative for crabgrass pre-emerge than Procade/Barricade?

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco said it would be the last of the nut grass with Dismiss....$200 per bottle but he said only a small amount per gallon....it looked like a pint or so...

8. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

Why do you worry about crabgrass if you use pre-emergents.I was always told if you put down pre-m you would not have crabgrass.Doesn't it put down some sort of superman barrier.

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Pre-m helps but a couple other factors can determine if you have some crabgrass breakouts. number 1 is the weather, high temps and no rain can effect the crabgrass barrier. also too much rain in the spring can have a negative effect on crabgrass control.
    The best thing you can do to prevent crabgrass is mow your grass no less than 3in in hight. if your grass is thin aerate and reseed. if you can see the ground and the sunlight can get to the millions of crabgrass and other weed seeds in your lawn you will have weed germination!

10. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

If they got at least (2) apps of pre-m then usualy no charge on the crabgrass, nutsedge is application cost no exceptions, unless very, very small amount.