1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crabgrass or Dallisgrass ?? I must KILL IT

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by scott015, Jun 11, 2001.

1. scott015

scott015 LawnSite Member

My yard is starting to look very good. I have bermuda and it has really taken off this year and is about 5inches thick all throughout. But there are a few patches of this other crap in it. I have heard it called crabgrass or dallisgrass or whatever. It has like a small ball at the root and it spreads out wide....and about 2 days after I mow...it puts out these real tall stems with black seeds on it. How do I kill this? I put some scotts fert. with crabgrass preventer at the begining of spring and that didnt do anything.... It is now time to fert again...what should I buy? Also, I have 1 other real small area that has another type of grass in it that I would like to kill. It almost looks like my bermuda but it is a little darker green and the blades are long and skinny....any help is appreciated/...thanks
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Try doing your fertilizer in 2 steps next year. MSMA or Drive will take care of the crabgrass, try MSMA first, it's cheaper. The other grass I'm not sure about, would need a photo.

Look here and see if you find the grass: http://www.basfagproducts2.com/weedguide/
  3. scott015

scott015 LawnSite Member

what is msma or drive? is that a brand name of a fert? can i just get it at home depot or any garden shop? will it kill out the crabgrass right now? or is it just a preventer too????
  4. KirbysLawn

Are you a LCO or a homeowner?
  5. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Acclaim Extra
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the weed you are describing sounds like foxtail, and msma at 1 oz. per gallon should kill it selectively in a bermuda lawn, it'll take 2 shots. this better be YOUR lawn, as you need a license in every state to spray it and charge somebody for it. Dave g
  7. scott015

scott015 LawnSite Member

yes this is my lawn, I am a homeowner....but this seems to be the best site I could find to ask questions and actually get replies. Where can I get MSMA? How much does it cost???
  8. KirbysLawn

LEsco, however it may be more affordable to pay a professional to spray. One mistake and your lawn is screwed, if MSMA does not work Drive would be the next option, it's about $90 a bottle. Again, use caaution, one mistake and your lawn is brown...
  9. This is the main reason I very rarely give any advice anymore.

You don't know if you are replying to a real lco, a homeowner, or
    a 15 year old child.
  10. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Stone. Shouldn't this be moved? Whatever happened to the idea of requiring everyone when they register to fax a copy of his current liability insurance policy prior to gaining access to the commercial lawn care forum?