crabgrass post em

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TPnTX, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

what are some good results for emerged crabgrass in bermuda lawns

and how to determine tillering stage of crabgrass

dimension

msma

drive

2. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

The County Extension Agency or if there is a University in your state or close by with a turf program should be able to send you a book on weed identification. In that normally there are comments as to when, how, and chemicals / rates recommended for your area.

If you're gonna spray, you need one.

We have really used our.

My two cents worth.

Take care.

3. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

Drive 75 is a very good product. We've been using it for a few years.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

TPnTX

Drive has worked well for me but be sure to use a good spreader sticker.

5. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

With Drive we seem to have better results using the crop oil rather than traditional spreader sticker.

6. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Hit it a couple of times with MSMA and you'll hardly find a blade that isn't bermuda.

Drive may be the cheapest one shot choice for crabgrass. MSMA is better when you more grassy weeds present than just crabgrass (e.g., dallisgrass).

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I normally tank mix Image with MSMA and control many grassy weeds. First application is the tank mix, second and third one if needed is MSMA alone. Even though most MSMA has a surfactant added, I get much better results adding a quart per 100 gallons of nonionic surfactant. The spray does not work if it rolls off the weed and onto the ground.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mscotrid

Methylated seed oil is my favorite Surfactant with Drive. It is expensive since I buy it Aquatic labelled. DLZ or Droplet landing Zone is the brand I use. No Lesco doesn't carry it.

9. TPnTX

alright thanks guys

10. TPnTX

You know I'm really frustrated with the lesco/JD guy. He's pretty cool and easy to talk to usually but the misinformatin you get from this guy is suprising.

Early this season before it was busy I went to talk to him about sedge. My main issue was sedge mixed with Mondo Grass and Jasimine. He sold me a $100.0 bottle of Image. I have since learned that even though mondo grass is on the lable, you really don't want to use that stuff on it.

He also told me the best thing I can do is just get weed-b-gon over the counter. (2,4-D) to use in my lawn. I have about 2 acres of bermuda. Thats fine but I called to ask him about tank mixing MSMA with that and he said that is what is in Weed-B-Gon plus crabcrass.

That dude is so wrong.
    With Crabgrass
    .42% 2, 4-D, dimethylamine salt; 2.13% Quinclorac; .60% Dicamba, dimethylamine salt; 90.85% inert ingredients.

Without Crabgrass
    5.30% MCPP-p, 3.05% 2,4-D, 1.30% Dicamba

The point is I'm not sure about what this guy knows.

So I mixed the MSMA with the Weed-B-Gon that I already have. I tested it on some areas. It's killed the crabgrass but I also get a lot of yellowing of the bermuda.

Mixed correctly do you think maybe my spray technque is wrong or will MSMA yellow bermuda regardless.

I'd like to broadcast it if possible mainly to practice

thanks