1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crabgrass post emergent

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by erhager, Jul 27, 2006.

1. erhager

erhager LawnSite Member

What do you guys use for crabgrass? My spray man put pendimethalin on my yard in april or may and now I am getting lots of crabgrass.
  2. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

Hi erhager,
    I am in Enid, OK as well.

What we started using is a product called Drive 75 with mso. It works well, but slower in cool weather. It is also very expensive. Another product you can use is MSMA, but beware when temps are over 90 deg, plus usually takes multiple apps.

We had a few break throughs using p-meth, mainly because customer wouldn't take the second app. If he put p-meth down in may or april, it was probably too late. We started this year around the last week in Feb. first week in Mar. We will be switching to a different pre-m next year. Looking at Barricade, expensive, but is supposed to work better.

If you want I can contact you, and take a look, or give other helpful ideas.
  3. erhager

erhager LawnSite Member

I have a contract for 3 applications with Myers this year. I am not very happy with him because it is supposed to be garaunteed but he won't answer the phone. Maybe I will go with you next year.
  4. yardprospraying

Well if you already paid for the full year, then I would demand a refund for the remainder of the year, most contracts are worthless in this biz. We never require contracts or payment for the year in full. It kind of gives the customer the chance to "try" us and cancel at anytime.

I know of about a dozen future customers that I will be treating in '07 that cannot get out of contracts, or refunds for remaining apps. Grassroots is the biggest joke in town, we get more of their unsatisfied customers than anyone. Just goes to show what the big "marketing companies", I mean lawn care companies do to customers.

Btw, I would stray away from anyone who guarantees "weed free", mother nature always humbles those who are that arrogant to make such silly claims. It is one thing to stand behind your work and treat problems as they arise, but to make any guarantee is nonsense.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly....But in all fairness, what has happened, is that we have had so much rain during this season, that the crabgrass (and weeds) have just kept germinating - long after the pre-emergents were all done. 2 years ago, we had similar conditions. We all discussed before that we could have used dimension all season long. We are spotting for weeds upon every application, and we have had outbreaks of crabgrass in select areas, as well. We've evn had it out in the center areas of yards where you don't usually get it (mainly along the edges due to heat and light reflection). we have been using drive, and spiking it with a little 3 way for any subsequential weed growth 9quick knockdown). It HAS been a costlier year than usual.
  6. yardprospraying

Sorry for not sounding fair, not trying to bash someone else. What I was getting at is that if pre-m apps. were done properly, then there should not have been such a problem with crabgrass. The Co. I am talking about, is a knock off Co. of tg/cl. They are big here in OK. and apply 2 apps of pre-m in the spring. Of all the new yards we pick up from them, 75% of them have extreme crabgrass issues. Most customers have given them 2yrs + to get their problems under control, and have failed to do a good job.

What we have found in our area is that 2 pre-m (split) at lower rate doesn't work as well. We sell 5 step programs with 3 apps. pre-m (2 in spring, 1 in fall). Another problem is if you run the max rate, you could have root pruning issues. Most applicators look at the p-meth label and assume the the low rate will do the job here, or they can run high rate of p-meth and get season long control.

Our problem is trying to convince the customer that they need more than 1 app. We have people saying "season long control" or "give us 2 yrs and have a weed free yard."
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Drive and Acclaim are 2 great products. Never a fan of MSMA. To high of a burn potential. Remember that Drive only works on the 1st, 2nd, and 5th tiller stage of the plant. Does little or nothing to 3rd and 4th. Acclaim will work on all stages, but is more $$.
    I was told that the heavy rains we had here in CT did 2 things to pre-emergants. They leached them out of the soil, and the rain fell with such force at times that it physically broke the barrier, allowing breakthrough.
  8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. We have crab where we never have had it before. Strange thing is the breakthrough is 99% smooth.
  9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We use drive. MSMA & trimec plus are just too unstable! Clients are not impressed by shocked desirables!
  10. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

is the easiest weed too kill when up, MSMA mixed with a surfactant will easily do the trick. Now trying to prevent the germination is a diffrent story, here in tha Dalls area I spray (1) Simazine w/ three way in the fall (2) repeat that process from Jan. 10th - Feb. 28th, Now I start to focus on stopping crabgrass from March 1st thru April-- THE QUICKER YOU GET THIS ROUND DONE THE BETTER, AND I TRY TO SPRAY THIS ROUND HEAVY. Just my opinion on these crabgrass preventers (1) p-meth, good and cheap- messy and doesn't last long, (2) Barricade - good on crabgass, shitty on broadleaf weeds- oxalis everywhere this year. (3) Dimension, excellent control of everything BUT VERY EXPENSIVE, Keep in mind if you are getting alot of rain you are fighting a uphill battle no matter what you use. Again just my opinion in the Dallas area with 20 + years exp.