Crabgrass Preventer/Re-Seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by NEWINNJ, Apr 13, 2007.

1. NEWINNJ

NEWINNJ LawnSite Member

I completely reseeded a lawn here in Northern NJ last year and it looked great until July when they went on vacation and stopped watering their front lawn for about 3 weeks during a dry spell. The lawn was pretty much taken over by crabgrass. Whats my best option for this year. I want to put down a crabgrass preventer plus sections of the lawn is in need of reseeding. How long after preventer can I reseed? I know what the bag says but I to get your opinions. Thanks.

2. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

just use an overseeder machine on it, add fertilizer, lime....when it starts to grow 2" then hit it with a preemergent like team or balan. preemergents typically last 3 months depending on rain and soil conditions ie clay or sandy..do not use tupersan no matter what anyone says, it dont work.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would put the crabgrass control down now, and then come back and re-seed in late summer/early fall. Spring seeding is a roll of the dice, and you should make it a point to tell customers that they need to keep up with new seed maintenance in the event of extreme heat and drought. I try to put off as much seeding as possible to the early fall.

4. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

august is best time to seed. warm days cool nights, and no weeds germinating