Crabgrass preventer vs mow lawn

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by bartjr, Mar 27, 2012.

1. bartjr

bartjr LawnSite Member

Hi all,

Newbie here, I am from NY and there is a new laws that i can't spread crabgrass preventer until April 1st. After i spread crabgrass preventer (scott step #1) how long do i have to wait until i mow my lawn?

Also scott step #1 any good for crabgrass preventer?

Thanks,

Tom

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Well, you could mow your lawn and spread right after you mow.

But if you really have to throw fert/pre down b/f you mow, go for it you won't cause any issues.

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

The Scotts Halts is basic Pre M it works very very good but usually wears off by late July on its prevention. If Scotts is a must re apply the same one in 6 weeks and youll be good.

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

The law does NOT restrict the use of the pre-emergent, it restricts the application of fertilizer from April 1 to December 1. It also restricts the use of P without a soil test.

5. bartjr

bartjr LawnSite Member

@turf hokie; so i can spread it now? using Scott step #1? the local store manager said i have to wait after April 1st. He said the law effect because the government don't want the snow and the seeds melting together and could cause poison in the water...something like that :)

If i spread it now. How long do i have to wait to mow the lawn? 1 week or 2 weeks?.

Thanks

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If people actually understood proper cultural practices, the difference between NPK and root inhibitor, professional and lawnboy, these type of problems wouldn't be 'solved' by the gov't!?!?!!

Don't get too excited, I don't think your CG is going to germinate b4 Saturday...

7. ChiTownAmateur

ChiTownAmateur LawnSite Senior Member

Few if any homeowners have crabgrass preventer that is not part of a fertilizer, that is how almost all of it is sold in the super stores. I agree with what was already said, simply apply on April 1st and it will still prevent the majority from rising. if you see any...simply hand pull it.

Mowing does not harm or help the preventer, you can mow as if you didn't apply it. In almost all cases, the critical issue is to get the preventer where it needs to go, which is on the top of the soil, meaning, water in whatever you are using and water well. That also prevents a possible fertilizer burn.

DO NOT disturb the soil itself after applying the preventer any more than necessary, and you cannot put down new seed when using it, the preventer will prevent new seed as well. If you need to seed, use Scott's Starter Fert + Crabgrass preventer, it is the only product that most homeowners can access easily that allows for prevention AND new seed growth. If you are not seeding, no worries at all then.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

This is sad. Crabgrass is already up in Michigan. Maybe where you are located also. If the air temperature hit 85 last week--crab is probably already up. Hope not.
    It is fine to mow the grass before you fertilize. And you can mow the grass after you apply crabgrass control. You might spread the granules around a bit and suck up a few granules. Crabgrass preventer's like Halts treat the soil. Water it in right away for best results. Mowing seldom has any effect.

Here is a photo of early crabgrass in Michigan. Photo in 3rd week of March 2012.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=243827&stc=1&d=1332870892

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  9. bartjr

bartjr LawnSite Member

Look like the crabgrass is already growth on my lawn. My question is; its too late for me to use "Scotts Crabgrass Preventer" (step #1), Or do I need to hired professional to spread the liquid on my lawn? I really need to remove those CB, it make my lawn look very ugly in the summer :)

Any advice are very appreciate

Thank advance,

10. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: