Crabgrass preventer vs mow lawn

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by bartjr, Mar 27, 2012.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A professional is the best bet. If you do it yourself...treat it first with Ortho's liquid weed and crabgrass killer. Make sure it includes quinclorac. That should kill whatever weeds and crabgrass are present. Then apply the Halts step 1 to prevent any additional crabgrass seeds in your soil from sprouting.
    You are not alone--going to be a tough year. But maybe frost will kill the early crabgrass...frost is common in April.

I have some experiments to see if crabgrass control like dithiopyr will kill early crabgrass. I also have a few pots of crabgrass inside for future tests of chemicals.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Careful recommending quinclorac in ny.....

Are you sure it's crabgrass? I have not seen any yet, even on new lawns....

3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

That's a good one, the gov solving a problem:laugh: I'm not sure they ever solve any problems......more like create them.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

exactly!!!! :)

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

It is, everyone here has been done with pre-em for crabgrass for the last two weeks.

Even my supplier is out and not getting anymore unless they get a large order.

Rule of thumb, put it down as soon as the Forsythia's bloom and before the lilacs bloom, and they are long done blooming here.

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

bartjr is in central NY, which is NORTH of me.

how are you sure bartjr has crabgrass? when we dont have any here and are usually a week or so ahead of his area for GDD's???

we just started our first round this past week..Forsythia are in full bloom, ..and besides since when did professionals start going by forsythia and lilac blooms, we go by bradford pear blooms:hammerhead:

...or better yet we use products that dont rely on a flowering bush to tell us when to apply something to the lawn:hammerhead:

ALL of my suppliers have not even put a dent in the pre-emergent supplies....

7. bartjr

bartjr LawnSite Member

@turf hokie I am pretty sure is crabgrass, my wife and I spend a lots hours in the summer pulled em up for the last 2 years. If i have a chance i will take picture and posted here.

I did manage to put down scotts crabgrass preventer today while scattered showers, although my neighbor probably think i am crazy :)

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Germinating CG looks nothing like the mature plant, you would have been pulling up over the past 2 years...

CG germinates with 2 rounded cotyledons, yet still pointed...

Someone who knows how to post pictures easily should post a picture of germinating CG... :)