Crabgrass Preventer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 28, 2007.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

What is the latest you guys would put down Crabgrass preventer in the spring in northern climates. I am in Milwaukee which is probably a week or so earlier than Minneapolis and a week or so later than central Illinois. I know it all depends on soil temps at 50-55 for 3 consecutive days but I am looking for a guide to use to plan out my first apps.

March 15th on a really early year to as late as April 15th on a cool spring????

2. RAY GLICK

RAY GLICK LawnSite Member

Because crabgrass dies with each frost, you must know about when your last killing frost is for your area. Put down the pre-emergent a week or to before so it gets watered in. This pre-emergent breaks down over time and becomes less effective. if you put it down to early it will have broken down to much by the time you really need it (after the last killing frost). I don't know your area but march is to early around here,western Mass. We have frosts up to May 10 or even later. So the end of april even begining of may is a good time. Also if you use Dimension you can go later since it also has a post-emergent in it.