1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

crabgrass studies show dimension at top

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hmartin, Jan 29, 2006.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I read through these studies frequently, as they are great sources of info.

Keep in mind that in this study, the preemergent herbicides were sprayed as opposed to granular apps. Some products simply perform better when applied in granular form and vice versa. For example, I heard an unsubstantiated claim once that Barricade actually performed better as granular.

In that study, Dimension was the clear winner with split apps at 0.38 lb/A.

If you did switch to that product, would it cost you more than using Pendimethalin or Barricade? Just something to consider.
  3. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like dimension cost roughly 2 or 3 times as much as pendimethalin using the max AI per k for each product. I am comparing sprayable products. Sound about right?
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I've tried split applications of Dim, Split applications with Pendi and A single heavy App of Barricade. I was least impressed with the Dim. The Pendi and the Barricade seemed about equal. I wish the Dim would have worked better. I hate scrubbing orange out of my equipment. Has anyone else experimented and compared results in their lawns? I've only tried Dim twice, both times in a fert combo and both times just a ton or 2. I tried 1 spring app at full rate and tried splitting it spring and summer, it didn't give me Barricade or split pendi results either time, especially on spurge, purslane or oxalis.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to reply twice but I have a question. If I am not misunderstanding the results of the Purdue study, the 1.5#/a Barricade area was only 1.7% crabgrass at study end (aug 26), and the split dimension area had 5%. That's 3x as much.
    That is an interesting study. I wonder why they didn't do a split application with any of the Pendi products. HMMMMM Maybe the test was funded by the foundation for the preservation of white vinyl fencing, AKA the notorious FPWVF.
  6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

2005 in CT saw a record crop of crabgrass. I did split apps of .1% Dimension from Lesco, their 19-0-6 analysis, at 2.86lbs/1000', about 6 weeks apart. I had virtually no breakthrough. Treated 1 1/4 million feet total, 85% un-irrigated, and used less than 10 gallons of Drive total.
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i switched to dimmension (granular) 2 years ago and could not be happier! i used pendulm and never got near the control of crab and spurge. i also use a split app.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

dim split apps here
  9. grassroots lawn

grassroots lawn LawnSite Member