1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

crabgrass took over in NJ

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by snuddenstang, Aug 15, 2005.

1. snuddenstang

snuddenstang LawnSite Member
    from nj

I had my 15,000 sq foot back yard hydroseeded in April.
    The shady areas look pretty good but the full sun area is heavy crabgrass. It doesn't look like there is any grass at all, just solid crabgrass.
    I did water like crazy but still only got crabgrass.
    I just had sprinklers installed.
    Probably should have done it before the hydroseeding.
    What do I do now?
    How can I overseed if it is all thick crabgrass.
    It is about 10,000 sq feeet.
    Any ideas?

2. p32pac

p32pac LawnSite Member

I renovated about 40,000 sq ft with a rotadairon this year and the same thing happened to me. The grass looked great for a while, then it seemed like it turned to crabgrass over night. I was going to just slit seed it in the fall, and treat for pre emergent in the spring. I thought about using a post emergent like Drive75, however I am afraid of losing all of my topsoil if there are heavy rains. I also live in NJ, must be something in the water. If anybody has a better solution please let us know. Thanx in advance.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do not seed in spring

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Dont be ridiculous! You can seed year round as long as the proper steps are taken. Granted, seeding in the fall is a lot easier.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

the proper steps= wait till september

6. snuddenstang

from nj

Will the crab grass die before I can seed this Fall?
    It seems like I have to kill the crabgrass first, then start over fresh.
    I wish I would have waited untill the fall to seed in the first place.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

nope, the crabrass won't die. any further consultation will be at the rate of $35 per hr on phone, $75 per hr on site

8. snuddenstang

from nj

75 per hr. I thought this site offered advise and help.
    Thanks but no thanks.

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby's got a point. This site is intended for professionals to share with each other. Sharing info with a consumer would be like working for free. Our knowledge should come with a price. I could give you a basic overview of what is needed for free otherwise you'll have to do your research yourself or hire somebody to come in and fix the problem.

Your contractor should take a soil test, and kill the crabgrass where it has completely taken over. Then he should prep and adjust soil balance to desired levels for grass type. Then slit-seed and apply an appropriate weed barrier. This should all be timed so the germination is complete, and root growth firmly established, before frequent overnight frosts become common. 4-5 weeks later a premergant should be applied and a postmergant in the spring. Your contractor should instruct you on proper water for the 4-5 week period between seeding and applying premergant.

10. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

I'm in New Jersey too. Many lawn Pros agree this is a BAD year for crabgrass. I have had great success with Drive 75 which is a POST emergent. It's expensive but worth it !!!

Hope I helped.......