1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Crabgrass vs Drive XLR8

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by carbpow, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Dave Stuart

Dave Stuart LawnSite Member

With herbicides I go right to the manufacturer, if you know how much you need for the season and order in bulk they will give good discounts.
    You can find really good deals on line as well.
    Stay away from JDL and stores that mirror it........ Highest prices, they mark up the products sometime as much as a 3rd.

Dave.

2. Plantculture

Plantculture LawnSite Member

Your weed is probably Tropical Signalgrass. Drive does not work on it.
    Tribute Total will work in Bermudagrass. I do not know how to control it in SA or zoysia. I encounter this weed more often than crabgrass in South Fl.
    Post some picks.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Not just a surfactant but the right surfactant and at a higher rate is what works with Drive.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

i used drive xlr8 here this summer, with chameleon sticker, fried cg without a doubt.

5. carbpow

carbpow LawnSite Member

Took a sample to the local UF office and sure enough it is Signalgrass. Apparently it's a bear to get under control.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Celsius applied in 1/2% MSO. Tribute is only labeled for Bermuda, however SA and zoysia will tolerate the AIs in it. Take note that one application of Tribute blows an application of Celsius, Revolver and Sedgehammer.

7. carbpow

carbpow LawnSite Member

I'll look for Tribute. If I can't find it I'll get Celsius.

8. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be very cautious using Tribute Total on anything other bermudagrass. I did contract research for Bayer in south FL, south TX, and central AL. I saw unacceptable injury on St. Augusinegrass, two Zoysia spp., and centipedegrass.

I don't know that it would be illegal to use it in grasses other than bermudagrass, but you do forfeit you warranty protections. So, if you have damage in those areas, Bayer won't help you.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The injury to centipede is expected. After all, Revolver is labeled for suppression/removal of centipede in bermuda or zoysia. As for the other grasses, I have seen injury even from applying labeled products. If the grass is not on a high fertility program, not kept on an irrigation program that meets its ET requirements and not mowed at the right height, using proper equipment, anything is possible. Therefore, I do not touch a lawn deficient in any of those three areas.

My vendors know that a do it all pre mix is a hard sell to me. On a given day, I might see every species of warm season grass with different combinations of weeds.
    Adding halosulfuron or sulfosulfuron to other sulfonylurea herbicides changes turf tolerance. I do well to leave it out and deal with nutsedge later.

10. carbpow

carbpow LawnSite Member

Celsius it will be, had a problem finding Tribute close by anyway, besides I don't want to push the envelope too much. As soon as the rain subsides I'll give it a squirt.