1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

crabgrass - what to spray now?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meets1, Aug 21, 2009.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Suddenly having issues with large estates where crabgrass is just poppen. Anything else out there to spray with to get results NOW!
  2. Turf Logic

Turf Logic LawnSite Member

What type of grass is it in?
  3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

He is in Iowa so it has to be cool season grasses. I would use Drive with Methylated Seed Oil. You could use Drive XLR8 but I am not familiar with it.
  4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would spray water and tell the customer it slowly fade in the next three weeks.
  5. Camden333

Camden333 LawnSite Member

I have good results with Trimec Plus.
  6. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

What rate per gallon are you mixing. I keep hearing about trimec burning.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Go with Drive with crop oil or Lesco Hawkeye as a surfactant. However Drive is no longer available. You have to use the liquid Drive: XLR8--costs more. But you can use a wettable powder generic quinclorac, if you can find it. Get it now before it is fully mature.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

bluegrass. Been wet here all summer which is good for the mowing crews and cool. I think we have had a few 90 degree days but that is it - not complaining. But this crabgrass is just takiing off in areas. I'll spray them and collect the money but with a frost only 4-6 weeks out for me (usually) how much bang for the buck are my clients really getting?

I like the water idea!!
  9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Q4 herbicide from PBI Gordon = broadleaves plus quinclorac for post-emergent crabgrass (and nutsedge control, too) Works great for me.
  10. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

We cut off the post em crabgrass apps off a couple days ago.drive with M.S.O. .On a dry day after the dew burns off .we are starting fall broadleaf /fert and over seeding on irrigated properties. If they are not regular valued customers they are S.O.L. . One app at earl stage should suppess it till the frost finishes it off ,but you loose prime overseeding time .uptake will be getting slower .but a guy does not really know what weather sept. is gonna bring .60 or90 degrees .