Crabgrass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Gabby, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

I need some help getting rid of crabgrass. I used Scotts with halts in the spring but some crabgrass still came. Is there anything I can put on it now to get rid of it? Thanks.

2. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

MSMA by Green Light will kill it.

3. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Where can I buy it?

4. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Anyone? Where can I get this stuff?

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Gabby

Since MSMA has arsenic in it you may not be able to Find it. BTW I have never seen it packaged in any thing less than a 2 gallon jug either.

6. fscot4283

fscot4283 LawnSite Member

WalMart carries pint and quart sizes.

7. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

I have purchased it at Home Depot & Wal-Mart, I would guess Lowes, local feed stores and nurserys would probably carry it also.

8. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I did a small amount of research and found MSMA is considered a defoliant. The definition of defoliant they ( http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Docs/ref_general2.html#ChemUseType ) has listed is:

"Kills leaves on broadleaf plants. "

Can anyone tell me if this is going to attack the surrounding grass in the yard?

The grass is currently a mix of "years of abuse and mis-treatment"... but I'm shooting for healthy tall fescue over the course of the next two to three years.

9. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I just went to walmart and got a product by Bayer that I think the major ingredient is MSMA. The product with the name "MSMA" was not available there.

I got a pump sprayer and applied it in a few select places in different parts of the yard. I'll try to get back here & post an update in a few days to a week or so.

Thanks for the tip. The crabgrass "infestation" I have going on is driving me up a wall. Mostly because it's growing at twice the rate of the lawn & it's all I'm seeing. I guess I can relate it to a bull seeing noting but RED!

10. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

I see you're a homeowner as I am. Ortho makes something called Ortho Crabgrass Killer for Lawns. Get yourself an Ortho Hose End Sprayer, and follow the directions making sure that when you spot crabgrass, you give it a good dose. Crabgrass seems to show up about the same time each year, at least it does in my lawn. Last year, according to my notes, July 14, was the date that made me finally decide to kill the crabgrass. This year it was July 20. Pre-emergent doesn't assure no crabgrass. Use the hose end sprayer for the first battle making sure to give the crabgrass a strong spray. Wait a few weeks, then mix up a gallon in a pump sprayer, and walk your lawn spraying any survivors you spot. You'll be able to distinguish the dying crabgrass from the still thriving crabgrass. Works for me. YMMV.